Chapter 33 - Winter

Just to clarify: These are a series of fragmented flashbacks of winter, just to show you how Amy is fitting into the group, how things are getting along and such.

The events described DO NOT all happen in one day.

<><><><>

Rick had become so distant after what happened at the house. No longer did he boss everyone around, or shout, or even associate himself with us. It seemed we all just fell into a natural routine, going in, getting what we needed, getting out. Together. Glenn didn't need to worry about being separated from Maggie anymore, as everyone worked together to get things done efficiently and as a whole.

We had just finished searching a new house, along the same street we'd been going down for the entire week. The weather was becoming crazily cold, to the point where we'd all be shivering when night came around. I'd often find myself sitting as close to the fire as possible, and rubbing my skin with my bare hands seemed to be one of the only ways I could stay warm.

In this street, we had pushed a few stranded cars to create a short fence that could help if there were any roamers on the way. It was already becoming night time, and I could feel the dread seeping in as the temperature dropped. I was standing beside Daryl, who wore at least four layers of clothes on a daily basis, wearing my thin t-shirt and my holey jeans.

"I'm going to die of hypothermia tonight." I shook my head, my voice low as I spoke to the man.

He didn't reply, watching as Maggie started the fire with our sacred packet of matches.

It seemed the attitude was the same for the rest of the group. Carl was wearing his father's coat, Maggie was wearing the poncho she'd recovered from the back of her grey car, Beth was wearing a jacket she'd been wearing for ages. At this point I really wished I could go back in time and pick up my jumper from the floor of Hershel's farmhouse.

Glenn and Rick were still inside, probably searching for whatever they could to keep us warm, such as blankets, pillows, jumpers and whatever.

"We hit skiers!" Glenn shouted out, gripping an unknown amount of professional skiing jumpers. He himself was wearing a vibrant red jacket, which hurt my eyes after being so used to the bleak coldness of our surroundings.

"No way!" I jumped on the spot, before leaving Daryl's side so I could make a grab for one of these brightly coloured coats.

"There are a bunch of really big ones..." Glenn looked down to one arm, which held a strange amount of different coloured fabrics. "So, T... Hershel, Daryl..." He passed a bright orange coat to T-Dog, and a dark blue coat to Hershel. Daryl was given a dark grey jacket, which I noticed he didn't put on as soon as he received it.

"It's because you can't rip the sleeves off, isn't it, Daryl?" I asked cheekily, feeling much happier now that I had something to keep myself warm.

He just looked away, his arms crossed around the coat, which dangled over his forearms.

"And the smaller ones, maybe for the women..." In his other arm were more jackets. He handed Lori a pink jacket, Beth a bright aqua colour, Maggie a black one, Carol another dark blue coat, and finally a khaki green for me.

Glenn saved another little jacket for Carl in one of his hands, a sad look on his face as he muttered, "There were a lot more kids' jackets... Lots of kids."

I shrugged myself into the coat, before zipping it up quickly. I knew it'd take a while for the jacket to warm up, but I was just enjoying the feeling of not having my arms exposed to the cold.