Chapter 17 - The Judge and The Jury

Before I start this chapter I just wanted to explain that this is going to be a little bit different to what you may be used to.

Instead of switching POVs, (which can get really confusing) I've decided to instead use third person to portray what the others are doing and thinking. The majority of the story is still in Amy's POV, but this is only for those chapters where another POV is needed for the story to blossom —

No, Amy doesn't have visions or mind-reading powers. This is NOT in Amy's POV.

<><><><>

Dale had somehow managed to convince the rest of the group to meet up in the lounge room. He had to go and speak to every member about the situation that had been the topic of talk for the past week.

It was a painstaking process, having to go around and speak to every person about how they felt. But it was one that he felt had to be done. The girl, Amy, was obviously not a threat to anyone. There could still be a chance that Randall was innocent, too.

If Shane and Rick were serious about killing them, something had to be done.

He stood beside the sofa, Glenn making his way to sit in the seat beside Dale.

The two men made awkward eye contact, as the few people in the room spoke quietly to each other. Meetings like these usually ran the way Rick wanted them to, but today was going to be different.

Today was the day Dale was going to take charge. That's what he hoped for, anyway.

The group was gathering, each person milling in, one-by-one.

"Let's gather up," Rick ordered from outside the house, watching Lori as she waited for Carl. He was standing at the porch, holding the front door open as Carol stepped inside, followed by T-Dog and Shane.

"Come on, Carl," Lori urged gently, holding her arm out to the young boy. He was completely ready for this meeting, fists balled and ready for business. Of course Carl knew he could handle it, he wasn't a kid anymore. "I want you to stay with Jimmy," She continued, making Carl's heart drop.

"B-But I wanna listen," He pressed, shoulders slumped already. His mother never changed her mind, and he knew that.

"Uh-uh, not this time." She placed her hand on his shoulder, leading him up the stairs cautiously, as though he was a fragile piece of porcelain. Carl hated that. He hated her overbearingly protective ways.

Rick held the door open, his eyes on Carl's, as if warning him not to argue. The small family were the last to enter the already full room, with Dale standing poised to begin his already-prepared argument. Rick himself knew he wasn't prepared to kill those kids. Or, maybe he was. It went against almost everything he believed in, but as Shane had said, it was all that could keep the group safe.

Carl paused beside Daryl just in the doorway the hall. Daryl had gone unnoticed by the group once again, and Carl, recognising this, decided to stand by him and go unnoticed too. He wanted to join the conversation so badly.

The entire room was silent, as Carl tried to make himself as invisible as possible, standing next to possibly the most undetectable person in the group.

Rick, who was ready to start, had noticed everyone's silence, and turned to where Lori was staring, which was straight at poor Carl.

With one warning glance, he had managed to send Carl straight off and up the stairs.

Once they were sure the little boy was gone, Glenn spoke up.

"So, how do we do this?" He asked, his mind already made up. "Just take a vote?"