Chapter 11 - No Return

I woke with a start, the sound of an engine revving to a start just outside the shed door.

Why there was a car outside, I had no idea. Randall shifted from beside me, pulling himself up from his lying position. He sent me a knowing smile, as if he already had everything planned out.

I didn't return the pleasantries, instead opting to watch the door for any movements.

I had no idea what we were going to do when we were set loose. Dale had said they were sending us somewhere we wouldn't be able to recognise. I hadn't decided if I was going to stay with Randall, but in most ways he was my strongest chance I had of finding Jane. Plus he wasn't afraid to kill, I already knew that.

The door started to slowly creak open, and Glenn popped his head inside.

"Yeah, they're awake," He said to whoever else was outside.

Today was the big day. Randall's leg had almost fully healed, although Hershel had said there was some nerve damage. That meant we were going to be taken out to some place in the middle of nowhere, and shoved out to fend for ourselves. I had no idea what the purpose of this was, I had no intention whatsoever of returning to this place.

Glenn pulled his head from the door, and soon later it was thrown wide open. Rick and Shane stood outside the door, which was surprising to me considering their argument just two days ago.

Rick entered the room, walking over to Randall first, and unlocking his handcuffs with the silver key. Shane then took the boy's arm, pulling him to his feet. Randall, who hadn't been walking for at least four days, wobbled uneasily in his grip. Rick then approached me with the key, unlocking my cuffs as well.

The familiar click of the metal, and I could stretch out my hands once again.

Randall looked relieved by the sensation, rubbing his wrists awkwardly against Shane's tight grip on his arms.

Much to Randall's dismay, Glenn approached him with what looked to be a reel of thin rope. I felt Rick cautiously place his hand on my shoulder, as I momentarily considered running again.

I waited as Randall struggled against the two men, while they bound his hands. I was just dreading my turn, as I watched the short scuffle unfold.

When Glenn approached me, Rick's grip on my arm tightened, expecting me to fight back. I didn't have the energy to waste, I was saving that for when we were sent out alone.

I held out my arms in silence, my head bowed like they were sending me to my death. Which, in some ways, they were. As Daryl had said numerous times, I wasn't going to survive long out there on my own.

He was breathing heavily, obviously distressed. Whatever his 'plan' was, it evidently wasn't working out. Rick stood beside me, his murky blue eyes avoiding mine. His face was blank as he watched Randall being shoved into the boot of the car like a dog, a sack shoved over his head. Glenn stood uncomfortably beside the car, watching Shane as he made his way back to help Rick load me into the car. It wasn't the same as the red SUV we arrived in, this was a dark gray car.

Before I could say anything to the two men, a pair of earphones were shoved into my ears, booming dreadful rock music. They then taped the earphones to my ears so they wouldn't fall out during the ride.

This felt completely unnecessary.

I was pulled along to the backseat of the vehicle, and shoved inside, sprawled along the large seat. At least five red petrol cans were lined up on the floor in the back. This led me to wonder where we were going. Five petrol cans could last us a week back at camp, with Dave's gas-guzzling pickup.