Chapter 45 - Hope

I pushed the gate door open for Carl, allowing him room to step in with the huge leather bag to fit in alongside him.

He gave me a reassuring nod as he strode past, attempting to look like the equipment in the bag wasn't as heavy as it looked.

He walked ahead of me as I closed the gate behind us; the sound echoing through the strangely silent quiet cellblock.

I could almost sense everyone was at Hershel's cell, with only Glenn's arm in view from just in front of the cell.

"I thought you were organising the food?" Glenn looked out from where he stood, his eyes following Carl's face and down to the bag in his hand.

"Even better," Carl said loudly.

I followed him, a small smile on my lips as we became closer to Glenn. He seemed confused as to what we were talking about, sending me a puzzled expression.

"Check it out," Carl murmured as he stepped into the cell.

I stopped beside Glenn, crossing my arms nervously over my chest as my eyes fell on Hershel. It wasn't hard to see his state had deteriorated... His skin was now a cold greyish colour, his breathing slow and laboured as sweat trickled down his face.

Carl pulled open the bag of medical supplies, earning an immediate gasp from Carol.

Glenn shuffled forwards a little, nudging me with his shoulder as a grin appeared on his face.

"Where did you get this?" Carol asked, looking between Carl and I.

"From the infirmary." Carl straightened his back then, pushing his hat forwards a little as he did so. "Wasn't much left, but we cleared it out."

"That's a whole cupboard full, right there." I nodded.

"You went by yourself?" Lori asked, her voice raising.

"I was with him." I stepped forward, my eyebrows knitting together in frustration.

Her mouth widened, as though I'd barely said anything. "You two? Alone?" She looked from me to Carl, "Are you crazy?"

I couldn't control the pointed look that appeared on my face as I stared back at Lori.

"No big deal." Carl shrugged, "I killed two walkers."

"You... All right, do you see this?" She indicated to Hershel, where he still lay unconscious, faint breaths escaping his open mouth. She looked to Hershel's mangled leg, "This was with the whole group."

"We needed supplies, so I got them." His voice was raising. I knew how he felt, as though he were suddenly backed into a corner. Maggie, Beth, Carol and Glenn all watched silently as the mother and son began to get more and more angry.

"I appreciate that, but--"

"Then get off my back!" Carl yelled, his fists clenched as he stared around the room.

His face was red, his eyes narrowing on everyone, much like I'd seen Rick do a few times when caught up like this.

"Carl! She's your mother. You can't talk to her like that!" Beth interrupted, looking up from where she knelt beside Hershel.

Silence fell, as Carl let out a shallow breath.

It seemed, every time one of the "weaker" of us tried to do something risky, we were of course just forced back down. I knew how he felt... I knew because that exact same thing had happened with Rick and I, and afterwards I had learnt to just do as I was told.