Chapter 26 - Disagreeable

"I don't think it's a good idea." Hershel's voice was the first I heard when I woke the next morning. I was glad for the amount of sleep I'd managed to get, knowing that if something had happened now, I would be able to protect myself better.

"It's my choice, Hershel. And it's the best bet we've got," Rick snapped, his voice harsh in my muddled mind, snatching my peaceful sleepiness who those few words.

I forced my eyes open, the rising sun not as harsh as I originally thought. My neck was aching something awful after lying on the cold, flat, dirt for the whole night, with nothing to use as a pillow. I gingerly lifted my head, making sure to stretch out my sore muscles when I was finally upright.

Glenn was still asleep, Maggie curled closely against his lean body in an attempt to stay warm.

We had spent the majority of the night talking quietly about vague topics from before the apocalypse, or rather Glenn spoke about the miseries of being a pizza delivery boy, while Maggie and I listened. We were really just trying to avoid the tension that was brewing around that campfire, and by the end of the night, I could safely say I fell asleep quicker than I had since my brother died.

Some of the group members were beginning to sit up too, Lori already watching with bitter eyes as Hershel talked out details with Rick.

"But driving out there, with the little amount of gas we have left?"

"We find some abandoned cars, siphon the gas... Should be enough to keep us going until we find somewhere to hunker down," Rick reasoned. I scratched the back of my head awkwardly, not properly taking in this information as fast as I had liked.

"Got us some squirrel." Daryl caught my attention immediately as he stormed from the forest surrounding us, crossbow in one hand, and a handful of squirrels in the other. "'S not much... With the cold and all."

"We can't rely on Daryl's hunting for much longer. The animals are all going into hiding for the winter." Rick indicated to the measly three squirrels in his hand, each held by their small furry tails. "We need to scavenge, get into some houses, stores, and just gather what we can for when the snow starts falling and we can't go out as often."

"What? What's happening, Daddy?" Beth yawned, tucking back a stray piece of her light hair. Hershel turned back to look at her, but before he could say anything, Rick cut him off.

"Start waking everyone up, tell them we're getting on the road again." Rick ordered the young girl, his tone oddly calm.

Daryl walked past me, heading back to where all of the vehicles were kept. The dead squirrels in his right hand dangled disturbingly close to my face, making me shrink back in disgust. He threw his crossbow over his shoulder, looking just as mad as he was last night.

When was Daryl not annoyed with me?

However, staying there with Rick and Hershel until the others woke was not something I desired, so I scrambled to my feet clumsily and followed him to his motorbike.

"Hey!" I shouted to him. He knew I was following, but he continued to ignore me. "Daryl."

I tapped him on the shoulder, something I quickly regretted as he furiously shoved my hand away from him. He turned around, his eyes narrowing down on me in a different kind of anger that I hadn't actually seen from him before.

Was he hurt?

"Y'know, after teaching you to fight, saving your goddamn life... I thought maybe you wouldn't be so damn stupid all the time!" Daryl's sudden outburst made me jump a little, his voice was louder than I anticipated, and filled with venomous anger.