Chapter 19 - Attraction

As we slowly made our way towards the forest just a little way from the house, I noticed a figure walking towards us in the corner of my eye.

"Daryl!" The man called roughly.

Shane.

I tried my best to ignore him, instead attempting to continue walking as though I'd never heard him. To my frustration, Daryl turned his head to see what the voice wanted.

He stopped walking, waiting impatiently as the giant man stormed towards us. After what I saw last night, I felt less safe around Shane than before.

"What?" He demanded from where he stood, looking more than a little annoyed.

"You still going with Rick to send the kid off?" Shane questioned, still taking small steps to where Daryl and I were waiting. I guessed they were talking about Randall.

"Yeah. Wha's it to you?" Daryl stood straighter now, gripping the strap on his shoulder.

"Just wondering." Shane nodded his head coolly, "And where are you taking her?"

"I'm goin' hunting. Rick thought it'd be nice if we played catch-up," Daryl grunted, nodding to me as he said the last sentence. I stared down at the thin blades of grass beneath my feet, uncomfortable with where the conversation was headed.

"Shouldn't you be getting the truck loaded? Preparing for stuff?" He asked Daryl. He took a step towards me, his eyes focused on mine. I glanced over to Daryl in worry. "I'll take her."

Something didn't feel right for a second, as Shane's eye twitched slightly when he was watching me silently beg Daryl to help me. I didn't want to be alone in a forest with Shane, especially if he had weapons and I didn't.

"Nah..." Daryl casually blew off Shane's request. I almost let out a sigh of relief, even though I could still feel Shane's terrifying glare on my face."We're goin' this afternoon." He crossed his arms stubbornly. He wasn't going to shift on the subject, which made me feel so relieved.

I could feel myself shift closer to the man, feeling a sense of protection from Daryl that I hadn't felt in a long time.

"You sure? I mean, you've probably got better things to do with your time, man," Shane pushed, his eyes wandering back to Daryl's. "I'll take her hunting."

Daryl went uncharacteristically tense from beside me, looking straight back at Shane with questioning eyes. Daryl must have seen the fifty shades of crazy that seemed to glimmer in his dark eyes.

"'S fine." Daryl said, more firm in his tone this time. I felt his clammy hand grip my forearm, pulling me after him as we both walked the rest of the few metres into the safety of the forest.

Once I was sure we were alone, I let out a loud breath.

After Daryl realised he was still holding my arm, he dropped it immediately. My knees were still shaking from the confrontation.

"I seriously thought you were going to leave me with him," I whispered, mindlessly rubbing my forearm. "He hates me."

He didn't answer, walking ahead of me, his breathing rugged. As the leaves crinkled under my tired feet, I suddenly remembered the idea I still held in my head, in attempting to prove Daryl wrong. The first thing he had snapped at me for was walking too loudly.

He still hadn't said a word to me, instead preferring to move silently through the trees. I followed him, successfully managing to keep the volume of my footsteps to a minimum. It was hard at first, but I learnt to step on the spots of ground that weren't totally piled with leaves.