Chapter 28 - Loose Threads

At first I didn't really know where to start. What was I supposed to say? I wasn't sorry. After all, I was still contributing to the group in a way that was much more significant than standing around a dusty old shack.

"I... Uh, I decided to help T-Dog and Glenn look for fuel," I answered, sounding a lot more self-assured than I was feeling at that point. His eyes were narrowed down at mine, as if he were waiting for me to continue, even though I had virtually nothing left to say. There was no way I was going to apologise to him... Ever.

"So you left? Didn't bother to tell anyone?" He wasn't calming down, even though his tone may have suggested it. I really wasn't in the mood to be interrogated by Rick, as my mood was already dreadfully low.

"I figured I wasn't needed as much here. S-So I went with them instead." As much as I wanted to, I could never be the brave, strong type. It was always my nerves that got the better of me, forcing me down a step to where I just looked like a sad little puppy, even when inside I was fuming.

"I gave everyone orders for a reason." Rick rubbed his forehead roughly, before lowering his hand. "If we're all going to get through this winter alive, then we have to stick together and plan ahead."

I nodded nervously, my stomach churning with resentment.

"It's not like I was-"

"You're no exception. I'm in charge, so you follow my rules." He sounded like a bossy babysitter. "Or you can leave, it's your choice."

Rick was unknowingly pulling at my loose threads, and at some point I felt as though I was going to unravel and release whatever kind of anger I held inside me at that point. I'd always grown up a relatively shy kid, never one to pick fights or to engage in arguments. I guessed the apocalypse really did change all that.

I could almost feel myself reaching breaking point, holding in all these emotions. Even though he didn't seem too furious, his every word seemed like a bitter pill to swallow.

"This time, it can slide. But everyone is to follow my directions from now on, we can't have people wandering off and getting lost. This winter is going to be difficult enough without a place to stay." Rick turned to the few people behind him, before looking back to me. "If you become a threat to this group, in any way..."

Glenn dropped the can from behind me, the sound of metal thudding against the grass was the only sound to be heard in the silence, beside the loud thumping in my ears as my blood rushed to my head.

The group from behind Rick had grown, as Hershel and Carl had joined the audience. It only added to my rapidly increasing bad mood.

"Are you kidding me? It's not like I murd--"

I was cut off by Glenn, who made a grab for the suitcase in my hand. It was almost as if he could sense where this was going.

"Actually, we did find..." Glenn quickly unzipped the case, being careful not to drop any of its contents onto the floor. "Well - see for yourself."

Rick leaned over to look into the suitcase, which was brimmed with packets of gloriously delicious food items. As T-Dog had said, Carl had popped his head up in excitement, his eyes widening at the case. Rick then peered down beside him, to see his own son looking the happiest he had been in a long time.

"Wouldn't have been able to take all of those without Amy's help," T-Dog lied. God, I was so grateful for those two at that moment. In truth, all I did was hand out a stupid piece of advice ... And chew on a stale Cheeto.

"If we ration properly, those could last us days." Hershel looked down at the small case, with almost every on staring at it as though it were filled with a million dollars.