Family

Kiyotaka woke up early the next day finding himself in an unfamiliar room lying in a futon.

I fell asleep here huh?  

He got out of the futon and walked over the  window and opened the the curtains. Someone had already opened the windows slightly to let the air circulate into the room, which did not seem like it was used often.

On a desk in the corner of the room, he saw an old computer that was probably out of order and surrounding it were a myriad of awards and trophies. Most of them belonged to the kids of the family. The most recent ones belonged to Hina. She was apparently the best chess player in her school and had won quite a few tournaments when competing with players of other middle schools. Maybe, he could play with her sometime.

Kei had quite a few awards for acting in plays as a child at elementary school and in local plays. Though none in middle school. He had seen a picture of young Kei on the wall in the living room wearing a kimono onstage with a serious but adorable expression on her face. 

Great. I have more teasing material now

There were two small but fancy looking acrylic awards. One said 25th anniversary  of Yukinoshita Construction Company and the other was congratulating Taishi-san for 10 years of hard work. Both were from his line of work which was a construction company which seemed to be very prestigious. He had seen quite a few large buildings being constructed on my way here with signs of their company logo posted outside for promotion.

What a stroke of luck. This makes things ten times easier with an already established connection.

In any other circumstances, going with Kei would be stupid and I bet Director Sakayanagi also thought the same thing but he knew that I would never do something like that without a plan but, his belief in my abilities was immense that's why he believed me but was also was trying to keep an eye on me. Little did he know I was trying to cut all ties connecting me with him as soon as possible. 

The owner of Yukinoshita Constructions used to be an investor of the white room. This was the main reason he decided to come to Chiba. Kei was just a sweet bonus which he had never intended for when he had made his plan a year ago if such a scenario were to occur.

 ▢▢▢

It was pretty early as Kiyotaka made his way down the stairs. Kei and Hina were still sleeping in their room. He saw Taishi-san on his way out of the house for probably a early morning walk. The only person who left awake, sat on the sofa in the living room drinking coffee and reading what could only be a newspaper.

"Good morning Kiyotaka-kun, come sit.  Would you like some coffee?", Karuizawa Kaede asked as she pointed to the chair next to the sofa.

"Good morning, thank you for letting me stay the night Karuizawa-san", he said denying the offer for coffee as he sat down.

The matriarch of the Karuizawa family looked very much like an older version of Kei except for the fact that she had brown hair which had been inherited by the younger daughter. A frown crossed her as she spoke up.

"You know what? I want you to call me mom."

Huh?

"Kei-chan already told me about your family" she said with a small smile, " and besides seeing how close you are to her, who knows? Someday I might even become your mother through law", she said with a teasing grin as she searched for any sort of reaction from me which she didn't get. My mind was still on-

"Mama!!", a loud shriek come from the stairway bringing his mind back to the living room. It belonged to none other than my beloved girlfriend who had a red face. Looks like she heard her mom talking to him. She was still in her pajamas with her long blonde hair flowing down past her shoulders. 

Damn, my girlfriend is pretty cute ain't she?

 Kei was shouting at... mom with stuttered speech while she simply raised her newspaper and blocked Kei's face with it with a victorious smirk on her face after managing to have made atleast one of the kids flustered.

He shifted his gaze to the newspaper she was holding. Japanese written on it in different sizes. It had 'Chiba Daily' written at the top in bold letters with 'Wednesday, March 30th 2022' written below. College starts on the 11th of April which was a Monday. It was his first time seeing a newspaper up close the only other time, he had even seen one was when Matsuo was taking a folded one to his father along with his breakfast and obviously there was no use for newspapers at his highschool.

Kei suddenly stopped speaking as she suddenly snatched the newspaper from her mother which elicited a weak 'hey' from her mom which was ignored as she turned the paper over to the side that was opposite to where he sat and thrust into his face.

It was an advertisement for an off-season fireworks festival in the area. He understood what she was trying to say.

"Sure let's go."

She brightened up immediately with a huge smile adorning her face. "This is gonna be your first festival right?". He nods and asks her mother, "Are you guys going to be coming too Karuizawa san?".

She raises an eyebrow.

"Umm..  mom?", he says.

The word still felt so foreign to his tongue.

She smiles and replies," We will all be going, as a family." She was clearly implying that he was also part of the family too and he didn't know how to feel about that yet.

 ▢▢▢

After having breakfast with the rest of the family, Taishi-san scurried off to go to work. He had made a fuss when he heard Kiyotaka call his wife 'mom' (she had raised her eyebrow again). 

He insisted that he call specifically 'Pops', not dad, only 'Pops'. He seemed very adamant about it and whenever he had to call out to him he had to say , "Yo, Pops". 

It became apparent that he was miffed at his wife for pulling out the mom card when he wasn't at home. His wife had a dangerously sweet smile as he began to take jabs at her for having the better nickname. For every jab he took more and more salt entered his boxed lunch. By the time he left for work, there was enough salt to make him puke the moment the food touched his tongue. Kiyotaka had no intention of pointing it out to him, lest he too wanted to experience the wrath of the Karuizawa matriarch.

A little while after Taishi-san had left Kiyotaka excused himself too, on the pretext of setting up his house though the apartment had already been furnished before he arrived. His actual reason was to look for a part-time job. Though, he already had quite a bit of money which he received from Director Sakayanagi but, if his upcoming plan at the festival failed he would have little left.

He had learnt that at the festival, there was going to be a raffle with the grand prize being 50,000 yen. Also, the festival was being hosted by the Yukinoshita family. Apparently according to the rumours at Taishi-san's office, the festival was front for publicly celebrating their eldest daughter's completion in training to be the next head of the big company.

He also wanted to buy a gift to Kei's family to show his appreciation. They were blissfully ignorant of the dangers that would await them should his plan fail. He realised that for some reason, he had also started taken into account their safety in his plans instead of just Kei's.

Family, huh?

Maybe, if everything goes well....

Author's Note :

Yo.

So yeah I decided to let the setting be the Oregairu universe but it can't be called a crossover because I'm only utilising a few characters for plot progression and connection to other plot devices.

Their family interaction is fun to write. Kiyo currently feels like he is in a foreign environment, but is much more comfortable than he expected himself to be. 

Won't reveal anything else but I would like to ask, who do you think should be in Chiba university along with the two main characters? (Albert is confirmed)

That's it y'all.

Peace.