Unexpected Situation at the Cafe

The university's cafe was a place where students could eats snacks and lunch between classes. Every single dish was below 1000 yen, and due to the low cost many students could be found studying or chatting with friends while grabbing a snack here.

Classes for the day were over for the medicine first year students. Kiyotaka and Kei and were going to the cafe to get something to drink. It had been two days, since the drinking incident. When Kei had learnt about, he received an earful from her and next from mom too. As much as he regretted it, he found out how it felt when someone other than friends scolded him showing that they cared for him. He actually felt a little guilty when mom almost cried when she mistakenly thought that he didn't have any friends to bring him home.

He did feel bad for Pops though. He had to sit right beside him and got scolded for introducing him to the 'world of alcoholism'. Sudo on the other hand got into trouble with his basketball coach when he went late for early morning practice. By the time he reached the coach for the physical assessment for this month's tournament, everyone's was already over and he after an earful he got it done alone while everyone was in their classes.

Next Saturday, the Chiba Jets Funabashi would play against the Alvark Tokyo Thunders of the Tokyo University. Sudo was already in the starting line up, considering the fact that it was almost one month since he started joined the team it was impressive that he was able to bench his seniors.

Kiyotaka admired Sudo. Much like Tsugumi Ai, Sudo had something he was passionate about and worked hard towards. Even Kei, had told him that she wanted to be a pediatrician, a doctor who diagnoses children.

Kiyotaka on the other hand, couldn't claim the same thing. Medicine was something he had taken because it was something he hadn't fully learnt as there were no practical classes in the white room. Music was something he was good at but was not passionate about. Whenever he played music he felt nothing. He just played well. Well each had there own uses to achieving his one true goal which had eluded him all his life.

To live a peaceful life.

▢▢▢

They both had a sandwich wrapped in a plastic cover in one hand and a soft drink in the other. Kei had a can of the popular japanese soft drink brand, Ramune's blueberry flavour while he had a can of sprite. They started making there way over to empty table.

"Hey Kiyotaka, Karuizawa san, over here."

The voice that called out to them belonged to Sudo Ken. Ever since he was rejected by Horikita, he would always come in between his and Kei's alone time to the best of his abilities. 

What a sore loser and he's supposed to be a sportsman.

He looked over to the previously empty seats which they were headed towards. Three girls had already taken their seats there. With a sigh, he went in the direction of Sudo's voice. 

When he got to Sudo's table, he saw another boy sitting there. 'Sitting' would be the wrong word. He seemed to be almost hiding behind the pillar next to his chair. 'I wonder why', he thought. 

As he sat down involuntarily making Kei sit between him and Sudo, which made the only thing between him and the stranger a pillar.

He looked at the boy again. He had clean and combed black hair though strangely a single strand was sticking up. He had round glasses and was almost hunched over his drink. 

Sudo introduced him, "Guys this is Hikigaya Hachiman, he's a friend from the same department as me and he's helping me catch up with the classes I missed on Monday." pointing to them he said, "This is Karuizawa Kei and her boyfriend Ayanakouji Kiyotaka".