Chiba University

Aah mou! How is he so good at chess?

My sister made me play chess against him as my last punishment. This morning, I put on the cutest face I could muster and asked my sister's boyfriend to convince her to let me go from her grasp. I was jumping with joy inside when he said okay. If anyone could convince her, he could.

He took my sis into a room had a talk with her. Only thing I heard was towards the end when onii-chan said, "Kei, you of all people should know how it feels when people get a hold of your secret and blackmail you into doing things you don't want to". I wonder what that meant though, did onii-chan save my sis from some bullies who were getting blackmailed at their school? After he said that, my sister spoke no more.

When they came out of the room, he smiled at me and gave a thumbs-up.

My sister said,"I guess I did take it too far, so I'm sorry. I should not be taking advantage that you're dating a loser-"

"Oi. What did I just say?"

My sister just ignored him and continued speaking. Honestly, we weren't dating. We were just a little interested in each other and decided to hold hands on a whim. It was totally his idea. Curse him, I was practically slave since that day for my sister. She did none of her chores when she had me at her beck and call.

"Play 5 games of chess against Kiyo. That will be your last punishment. Then you're free. I'm not even telling you to win, you should be glad. Of course, it's impossible for you to win against him.", she said with a smug smile.

Impossible  huh? I'll show her.

-

-

-

-

-

I lost all 5 games.

It was humiliating. My sister who had no idea how to even play chess had a smug grin as she saw me getting utterly decimated. The man himself was looking at the chess board not knowing where else to look. Finally he spoke up, "Why did you go for a Reti's opening every single game?"

"Eh? What's that ?"

"Your first move. You moved-"

"Oh that! I like the knight so always start with the knight.", I replied. I realised I met as well have said that I liked ponies. "Oh and no one else starts with it at competitions, so no one really knows how to play against it either. I've won a lot because of that."

"If it works out then its okay I guess.... but why do you castle whenever you get the chance?", he asked. I was confused. My old instructor had told me to do so whenever I had the chance and everyone else did too, it was basically nullifying all the opponent's movements up until that point. I just shrugged.

"Game 4, I knew you were gonna castle in 18 moves so I set up a trap that only worked if you had castled in that move." He dropped a bomb on me.

"Eh? You knew I was gonna..... ? 18 moves....? Trap... ?". A move made to nullify the opponent's attack led to my own loss? Seriously, he was the best opponent I've ever played against. Looks like I learned something new. He just smiled at me without explaining anything.

He always managed to impress me and my family. Dad acted like he was the son he never had. Mom was always trying to make him feel more included in family activities. I had something more akin to respect for him and maybe even admiration. He was so good at studies it wasn't even a joke. Although after everything that had happened since the festival I have to say, I hope my sister stays with him happily for as long as possible.