A Lifetime / Chapter 8

The next morning, Chance knocked on her hotel door.

"Good morning," he said, clearly confused, as Oliver appeared behind the opening door to Kat's room.

"Good to see you again Chance," Oliver said as he held out his hand to shake Chance's.

As Oliver turned back into the room, he looked back at Chance to explain that she was still very nervous, but he had shown up, like normal, to help her get prepped for the interview. This wasn't her first interview, but it was certainly the biggest...EVER!

"Ah, there's my girl. You look perfect!" Oliver spilled compliments out over Kat.

She was smiling and did a model-like turn to show off her new outfit when she noticed another occupant in the room and came to a quick halt.

"Hey," she said a little embarrassed.

"Hey," he smiled at her. His smile felt wider and wondered if she noticed. He loved walking in on her carefree behavior. Twirling around made her seem like a princess. "No. More like a Goddess," he thought. He shook the thoughts away, they were distracting.

Another thought was there, "She is so comfortable with Oliver and stopped when I came into the room."

He pushed that thought away too.

Oliver explained that he was expected back at work but could call and change some appointments around if needed. She assured him that it would be over in no time.

She hoped.

Chance walked by her side during the entire adventure. They met the tv hosts and the excitement over it all was fun for them both.

The producer had seen him walk in and quickly spoke to the host privately through her earpiece, prompting her to welcome him to sit with Kat. He would only drive up ratings.

But, when the interview was being prepped, he stepped back behind the cameras and watched and politely declined.

Kat wondered why.

"You are more than welcome," the host reinforced. "We understand that you employed her at the time."

"I hired her to write for my company, yes, but this, it was all her," he said as he smiled and remained exactly where he was.

He watched as Kat answered one question after another. About her life, her books, and the accident of course. The host was so elegant at drawing out pertinent information that a nervous person would neglect to say. Kat was a natural though. She was clever, brilliant, and beautiful. Chance could tell that even the host was taken by her. "Who wouldn't be?" he thought to himself as he quietly watched from afar.

To say that the interview was a PR dream come true, was an understatement. Most writers don't get free publicity like this. Never of this magnitude. But she wasn't just a writer. She was something in the realm of superhuman. "She is only now getting her recognition," he thought.

As they were walking out, he said, "Hold on." His hand slowly grabbed hers to stop her.

"Yes, the front door please," he spoke into his phone as he quickly released his hold on her hand as though he had surprised even himself when he touched her.

"Let's wait just a second."

She wasn't sure why he was adamant that they wait until the SUV arrived, and they stepped out. Apparently, the live airing of the show ignited a storm of new photographers who were in their faces as they tried to get to the curb.

He put his arm around her, not to hold her, but again to shield her.

As he helped her into the door, he stepped in after her and kept people from seeing her in an unflattering way. Like crawling across seats. He knew the ins and outs of the spotlight. She did not.