A Lifetime / Chapter 6 - Part 2

Footsteps could be heard nearby as Oliver arrived at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oliver, this is Chance," she announced.

Both men were pleasant, and Oliver took a seat on the couch again by Kat.

Chance had wanted to ask Kat and Kyle if they were up to trying a restaurant that his family had recommended. But after walking in and finding Oliver, he was certain tonight would be similar to last night.

Small talk commenced around New York and areas that Kyle and Oliver knew, and Kat grew hungrier by the minute. "I don't mean to cut you off, but I've been cooped up for days now and have a serious case of cabin fever. I could use a minute out of the house. Does anyone want to ride out to eat?" Kat asked.

Chance felt like he'd finally caught a break.

"I was just going to ask everyone. I was getting pretty hungry myself." Chance added. He knew this may be one of his only chances to really talk to this best friend he'd heard about.

"Please don't be mad, but I'm exhausted. I've been in airports all day and would love to just snack on whatever you have around here, go to bed early and start fresh in the morning. Can I have a rain check?" he asked.

"I don't want to go without you," she said, feeling Chances eyes on her almost immediately and feeling horrible almost as fast. What she meant to say was that he just got here, and she would feel guilty leaving him.

"I'm tired too. I'll keep Oliver company. I have a lot of notes to go over before morning. Get her out of the house for a while," Kyle insisted.

Chance looked slyly at his old friend, "Are you sure?"

Kyle glared at his friend with an odd look as he said, "Most definitely."

"Perfect," Oliver said, walking into the kitchen. "Has her mom brought food?" he said, looking at Kyle.

"Tons," Kyle said, reaching into a cabinet and handing a plate over to Oliver.

"If it were my leftovers and not mom's they would probably be going with us," she laughed.

And that's when it hit her. Oliver and Kyle were really not going.

Katherine's demeanor was almost immediately changed from jovial to nervous as she put her brave face on and turned to Chance.

"Let me change. I can't go out looking like this," she grimaced at her loose athletic pants being worn for the sake of her bulky bandage.

"There's plenty of time. Do you need help?"

"Maybe getting up the stairs. I still haven't tried that by myself yet."

"Let's go then," he said with some increased energy.

Oliver glanced towards Kat's leg, "Take it slow."

"I will," she said as she smiled back at him.

She started towards the stairs, even more nervous than before. Now, she absolutely dreaded how awkward this would end up looking for her. Just in time to save her, Chance held his hands out to pick her up, "May I?"

"Yes."

She spoke so low that she thought she'd have to repeat it. But he heard her.

He gently cradled her and carefully maneuvered the stairs. He felt strong under her. It seemed unusually easy for him to carry her. She had thought it would be weird. Like a small child trying to lift a parent and they stumble some, trying to regain their footing. Maybe because she wasn't lifted by anyone very often. Her son had just carried her the day before, up the same stairs. He was her child though, showing mom that he had the strength to care for her when needed.