26

"So far, we have not been able to determine anything. She has fallen asleep and we would like to leave her here overnight for observation. I would suggest that you all go home now and go about your normal daily lives tomorrow. We will do some more tests tomorrow and call you when she is ready to go home. Please leave a phone number at the front desk so we can reach you," the doctor says, smiles at us and disappears again.

They don't seriously want me to go home now and to school tomorrow when my mother is in hospital.

"Let's go," Jude says and takes my hand.

I just nod and walk with them, give the woman at the reception my contact details and then drive back to their house with Jude and Denise.

"Do you want to go to school tomorrow?" Denise asks me as the two of us sit in her living room. Jude has fallen asleep on the couch and then gone upstairs to bed.

"I don't know," I say, looking back and forth in my tea, lost in thought.

"It's your choice, but maybe school will distract you a little."

Yes, maybe. But then again, maybe not.

"Yeah. I think I'll go," I say, smiling at her a little.

"Okay I can drive you if you want," she suggests. "I have to go that way anyway and I'd be happy to give you a lift."

"Yes, thank you. That would be nice," I say and finish the last sip of tea.

"It's getting late. I'm going to bed now too, but you're welcome to stay down here," she says as she gets up and takes the empty dishes to the kitchen.

"No, I'm going to bed too," I say and thank her again for everything.

When I come into the room, Jude is already fast asleep.

I lie down next to him in bed, he puts an arm over my waist and I fall asleep immediately.

Kiara is sick today, which means I'm all alone at school.

But what bothers me most is that Tiffany and her friends talk bad about her and me all the time.
They talk in German, but by now I can even understand most of what they say.

And I swear, if she says anything about her again, I'll go over to her.

"What the fuck is your problem?" I ask her as I walk over to her when I've had enough.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she says as she checks me up and down once.

"Oh I think you do know what I'm talking about," I say as I look down at her.