CHAPTER 29: Maybe.

Chapter’s inspiration ♪ :  “I Love You Goodbye”  (Nina’s rendition)

“Let him in.”

            I heard Elder Vladimir suddenly told Gil. He bows first his head before walking to the opposite side, pressing the digital codex mounted on the wall. A portion of that wall automatically opens leaving a pathway to our side. Lindon run-walk towards me until he’s now in front.

            I can only see his shoes for I am still kneeling down –my eyes glued on the ground, ashamed to look at him in the eye. A heavy sigh erupted in the midst of this silence, which I am certain came from him. I heard him move from where he is standing. Next thing I knew, he also kneeled down in front of me.

“Elerie...” he calls out.

            Hearing his voice makes me want to burst into tears. So instead, I bit my lip trying to control the stir of my emotions and clenched my fists too tightly. I remained stoic like stone.

But not successfully though.

            My eyes start to feel so heavy... so cloudy –making the ground appears a little bit hazy now. The trembling of my lips intensified, along with the shaking of my whole body. I felt Lindon’s warm hand as he lift up my chin. A tear free falls down my cheek the moment our eyes met. Seeing his face showing off a mix of pain, sadness and yet at the same time, happiness.

“I-I’m so s-sorry,” I whispered, as more tears run down my face. “I’m sorry...” I told him again.

            Lindon stays still, just looking at my face. He remained silent as he stands from kneeling down. I dropped once again my head, in full understanding if my mate hates me now –or even loathe. I broke my promise that there will be no more secrets. Just thinking of how he takes in the news of what I did breaks my heart. Even more, the thought of what will happen to him the moment I am gone sends thousands of daggers directly piercing my chest.

“Come here,” he said, halting me from my musing. When I look up to him, his hand is extended towards me. I carefully place my palm on top of his... seeing how his muscles flex as he pulls me up and enclosed me in his strong arms.

“Lindon...” I uttered as he is now hugging me tightly.

“I understand, Elerie...” he whispered in my ear. “I do. Nothing will change between us,” he said. I hug him tightly as I let out all the tears obstructing my vision. His warm hand soothes my back, making me calm a little bit, before I untangle my arms off him.

“Thank you,” I told him the moment we are facing each other. He smiles to me as he brushes both of his thumbs to wipe away the tears that marred my cheeks. I cupped his face as I stare at him admiring his every feature.

But then suddenly, something dings in my ear...

Treason...

 Guilty...

Wolf-eater...

Exile...

            The voices say one after another until all the words became a swirl of noises, causing me to feel light-headed. I took a few steps back away from him, in horror. He looks at me confused.

“No...” I told to no one in particular, shaking my head incessantly.

“What’s the matter?” he asks, worried. I look to him.