CHAPTER 19: Heroine.

Damn.

      I growled feeling his body tensed beside me. When I look at him, confusion was written all over his face.

“Before I kill both of you...” Damon trails off. I saw Lindon clenching his fists, controlling his anger. “I feel obliged to explain what's happening to you Lindon.” He took out something from his pocket then throws it on the ground. “See that?” he asks, staring on a black-round solid. “Mixture of the most toxic and potent chemicals. Looks just like a harmless, tiny, black pebble... but it's deadly once it evaporated in the air. Your mate can attest to that, right Elerie?” Lindon took a step forward, his face reddening, seething with anger. I blocked him from attacking further as I situated myself in front of him. “The effects... you might ask. Well, your human form cannot transform into a wolf; therefore no mind links...”

                Damon went on with his gibberish talking while I took the opportunity to tell my plan. I mind link him.

“Lindon, stay still. Pretend to look at him while you're listening to me,” I instructed, also doing the same thing. “Everything he said is true. I cannot hear what's on your mind right now and we need to get out of here so listen carefully,” I went on, feeling a subtle nudge from my back coming from Lindon. “There's a lake at the Southern side of this forest. You have to run your way there and wash off the chemicals from your system. Then, you can shift...” I paused, expecting a violent reaction for my next words. “...and I'll stay at your back as you do it,” as expected, Lindon growled –as if he's growling to whatever Damon's saying and not to me. “If we want to get out of here alive, it must be done Lindon. Promise me that you won't stop from running, not until you're already in your wolf form. I needed you to trust me on this. I am your mate. Let me protect you with all that I can... I breathe out, waiting anxiously for Lindon's response.

                After some contemplation on his part –I think— I felt a warm touch on my fur... making me smile inside. But that ephemeral moment of joy faded when I turned back my attention once again to Damon and realized what he just said.

 “Send my regards to your father Elerie... wherever hell he is in now,” he said, an evil laugh erupting from his chest then snapped at the wolves behind him. “Now!” he ordered and in a second, the wolves were charging towards us.

“RUN!” I screamed inside my head and felt the gush of wind as Lindon run to the opposite side. I quickly follow suit, feeling the shaking of the ground as the wolves were in haste behind us –bloodthirsty.

                 I caught glimpse of the cream-colored wolf run ahead of me, specifically aiming for Lindon. My protective instinct kicks in, empowering me to bolt towards him and leapt at his back. He was caught off guard, lucky me. Blood spurts out as I sunk in my canines on his flesh. He howled in pain as his body begins to weaken from the nonstop bleeding he got.

                I'm about to bite him to death when someone clawed me behind. I quickly turn around and successfully dodge another blow coming from the gray wolf, hastily put up my stance and lunged to him. I go for the jugular, lacerate it with my paws and left his dying body.

                More wolves come to me, making all the trainings I had put into action. There's one I bite off the limbs, many slashing and hurling at the trees. I was not left unscathed for I feel the pang on different parts of my body. Scratches, I guess, but it wasn't that tormenting. I can still fight on.

                Glancing at the running figure of my mate, I felt somehow relieved hearing the rippling sound of water getting louder in my ears. I turned back once again my attention and smirked at them... seeing now we're down to five snarling werewolves in front.