CHAPTER 13: Tension.

“Y-You're so beautiful...”

                Lindon said to me when I got out of my room. He was utterly dumfounded as I walk towards him.

 “Thank you. You're gorgeous as well,” I smiled to him as he wrapped his hand on my waist.

                We stand side by side in front of the full-length mirror here in the living room. Well, I can say that we look perfect: Him, wearing an all black tuxedo matches my skin-toned gown –embroidered with black floral around the hemline and along the lining of the v-neck.

“You two look great!” Lindon's mom said, excitement coursing through her features.

 “Thank you very much for this lovely dress,” I told her, she sweetly smiled.

 “Pleasure is mine dear,” she gladly told me.

“Lindon, I suggest you should get going now. Elders hate late comers,” his Dad warned him.

 “Okay. We'll take our leave now,” he said, excusing us from his parents.

                After saying our goodbyes, we headed to his car and drove our way to the Galas' venue.

*Annual Gala Night

“Welcome Sir, Ma'am. Have a wonderful night,” the hotel valet said as Lindon handed him the keys.

“Thank you,” he said to the guy. “Madame, may I?” he turned to me as he offer his arms.

 “All yours, my darling,” I chuckled and he laughed at that.

                We walked inside the hallway... and an avant-garde crowd welcomed us! Everyone was donned with their haute-couture, designer labeled dresses and tux. Both the ladies and the gentlemen wear their luxurious glinting jewelries that illuminates as the light coming from the chandelier reflects on it.

 I never thought wolves are these filthy rich...

                I thought of seeing all this extravagance.

                I am well aware that every year, the Wolf Council of this state host a Gala Party attended by elites of the wolf society. My parents used to be always present in Galas like this. It just so happened that I never go with them whenever they request me to come. So, I really have no idea of what's going to happen here tonight

 I just hope everything will be alright...

“Elerie, your hands are cold. Are you okay?” Lindon ask me when he felt the icy cold sensation brought by my hand.

“Ahm... I don't know,” I said, eyes staring on the floor. “W-Well, I just don't want this kind of a-attention they throwing at me,” I added as I look at him, my eyes faltering at every blink I make.

                I followed as Lindon scans the crowd who are busy with their whispers and have these unbelieving looks in their eyes. Maybe some of them did recognize me. Maybe they were so incredulous as to why I am here... alive and breathing.

 “Just don't mind them. Only you and I matters here,” he whispered to me. His breath on my ear sends tingles that somehow calmed my agitated nerves. I nodded at him and plaster the most beautiful smile I can ever pull off.

                Lindon held my waist more possessively as we continue to walk in, pair of eyes still on us. We just halted our strides when a man –his aura screaming authority but still look handsome though in his senescence— look at my face intently. Recognition strike him as shock quickly passed at his features for a while... then gone.