Demons

Yesterday was when I finally came home, and now everything is going back to normal. Besides the extra security guards. My cousins are acting the exact same, all playing video games or messing around. My aunts asking about shopping and trying to start something with me and Blake. My uncles trying to stop my aunts. My brothers encouraging them to do so and glaring at Blake whenever he's in the same room. Blake doesn't care and still sends smirks and winks my way. My Nonno, Alfonso, Marco and Enrico have been drowning in work, my uncles constantly helping as well. Nonna still set on feeding me until I burst. So all in all, everything has gone back to normal.

Today began normal, but I never thought it would turn out like it did. 

I was sitting in the kitchen with Nonna, it was late at night and we decided to bake some cookies. She had just put the tray in the oven and I was eating the mixture out of the bowl. But then I realised there is a question I've never even thought of asking until now.

"Nonna?" She turns to look at me and nods for me to continue. 

"Where's my dad? How come Alfonso is my guardian instead of him?"

She stands there in slight shock for a moment before composing herself. 

"Do you understand what your brothers do for a living, why we all have bodyguards?" by now she has come and sat next to me on the bar stool. 

"No. All I know is that we need them for protection. What does that have to do with my dad?" 

"Quindi quegli idioti non le hanno parlato dell'azienda di famiglia. I deficienti non pensavano che sarebbe stato bene che il caro lo sapesse." She mutters, unknowingly loud enough to hear. 

(So those idiots haven't told her about the family business. Morons didn't think that it would be good for the dear to know.)

Tell me what? Why would it be good for me to know? Were my friends right? I guess I'll need to do some re-search later. 

"Well, with the family business, we have a lot of en-competitors, who want to hurt us. Your father was a very successful man. This gave him a lot of competitors. One day they hurt him, he didn't make it. Because Alfonso was your oldest, direct relative he was the most sensible person to become your guardian. But don't worry, those competitors are gone now, they can't hurt you." Nonna tells me as she brings me into a hug. 

"Gone or dead?" I question, feeling her tense I got my answer. "Good. I hope they suffered."

"It was only a year ago." She mutters. I feel a stray tear go down her cheek. 

Pulling up I look her in the eyes. "I know I didn't have the most conventional way of dealing with losing a kid, but, I talked about it to my friend Bex. She really helped me with it. Without her I'd probably be on death row." She just laughs as a few more tears slip out of her eye.

"Rocco told me what you did, I'm glad you got to deliver a death like that yourself." 

"You know, that was the only time Bex encouraged me to steal a car. Her and her mum would lecture me any other time." I laugh quietly to myself thinking of all the times she would hit me with a textbook and her mum with a slipper.

"Do you still talk to her?" 

Sighing I shake my head no. "She got in a car accident with her mum. They both died on the scene."

"I'm so sorry you went through all of that baby." She whispers into my hair. 

"I'm sorry you lost your son." I respond

"Lo stesso con te bambina. Lo stesso con te" 

(Same with you baby. Same with you)