Chapter 3

*Wren's P.O.V*

I closed my eyes as I focused on my sense of hearing. Having your eyes open was always distracting from your other senses. Hearing was the most important sense along with smell. Scent was important for hunting, hearing was important for my survival.

The soft, slow beat of my heart thudded in my chest. Each beat was as light as a butterfly's wingbeat but it was always there, always going. Being a vampire was an in-between, not quite dead but not quite alive either. It was weird to be at a constant in-between of the two states of being but I had grown used to it overtime, although that didn't mean I liked being a vampire.

I heard the soft sound of a heartbeat that was beating just as slow as mine. I focused in on it and my eyes snapped open. I followed the sound subconsciously with my head and looked up to see Draven sitting on the edge of the building above me. He dropped down next to me, smiling slightly.

"Nice to see," he said, ignoring my eye roll. "You know, I never got your name?" he said as he ran a hand through his hair to mess it up.

"Where's your wife at?" I questioned as I leaned against the wall, my eyes scanning the surrounding area. I blinked in surprise when a woman appeared from thin air right in front of me, her dark red eyes staring at me curiously.

"There she is," Draven said as he wrapped his arm around the woman's shoulders. He was about an inch shorter than she was, I noted duly as I studied the woman in front of me. Her hair was black with brown tints to it and was in an afro. She wore a dark green dress adorned with the letter C stitched into it. "This is my lovely wife Cassiopeia," Draven said.

"Hello," Cassiopeia said as she held her hand out to me. I hesitantly accepted it, surprised when she brought my hand to her lips and kissed it gently. "My husband has told me some interesting things, namely that your Creator has failed you and that you have not been given the appropriate information that all newborn vampires are taught," she said after releasing my hand.

"Yea..yeah that's correct," I said as I nodded my head.

"Hmm, you poor thing. Your early years as a vampire must have been very confusing," Cassiopeia said as she glanced at Draven. "Draven, the packets," she said after a moment with a sigh.

"Oh right," Draven said as he opened the satchel he had apparently been wearing the whole time. "I got them," he said as he pulled out three thick packets and handed them to me.

I was surprised at how heavy the packets were and I balanced them all on one hand. I flicked through the first couple of pages and was surprised at how much information was packed in the first couple pages.

"Those should help you know much more about what being a vampire is like. The first packet is about your diet and what adverse effects eating from outside the diet can cause," Cassiopeia informed me. "The second packet is filled with the Covens that are currently open for new members as well as information on every coven that exists. The third packet is about Vampire Laws and the Vampire Council," she added.

"Cassie is on the Vampire Council, that's why her dress has the letter C embroidered into it," Draven said proudly as he looked at his wife with a look of affection and love. "Oh and apparently I can't teach you to hunt because I'm not officially allowed to but Cassie will," he said as he patted his wife on the arm.

"If she wishes to hunt then I will teach her Draven, if not then she can be fed like the other members of our Coven who are too squeamish to hunt," Cassiopeia stated simply. "We would arrange a meeting place and you would receive blood weekly," she informed me.

"Is hunting something you shouldn't do if you're squeamish?" I questioned quietly as I held tightly onto the packets in my hands.

"If you're squeamish I would say no, most squeamish people don't have it in them to drain a human of their blood and then dispose of the body," Cassiopeia said as she glanced at Draven. "Draven can hunt but he's pretty squeamish when it comes to actually holding a packet of blood," she stated.

"It feels all weird and squishy," Draven muttered. "Humans don't feel that way when your drinking their blood, they feel like a solid piece of wood," he stated simply as he shrugged his shoulders.

"So if you are squeamish I recommend just letting Draven deliver you some blood packets each week," Cassiopeia said as she studied me. "You could also hunt wild animals if you aren't squeamish about catching them and then disposing of their bodies," she stated.

"I think I'll just take the blood packets," I said honestly as I mentally threw up at the idea of having to catch something and then drain them of their blood.

"Good, well Draven will meet you here every Sunday night to deliver the blood to you," Cassiopeia said as she glanced at Draven who nodded his head. "I can meet with you weekly to answer any questions you may have as well Wren," she said which made me freeze.

"How do you know my name?" I questioned as I backed away slightly, my body tensed for either fight or flight.

"Paper trail," Cassiopeia said simply. "I've collected the entire paper trail that you've made as evidence to present to the other Council members when we meet next month. Your name will be left out of the documents but it must be known that there is a new vampire, we must also discuss how you could go unnoticed for so long and why you were turned and then left to figure out everything on your own," she said.

I nodded although deep down I knew that that meeting would probably not be the end of my troubles. In fact, it sounded like it would be the start of many more problems.