Chapter 13

*Wren's P.O.V*

I sit quietly with Ife, listening to the women talk around me. It's nice to just have to listen and not be expected to talk. I feel Ife's hands running through my hair, my head falling to rest on her lap. She hums as she looks down at me.

"Your mouth is stained," Ife informs me, her thumb lightly tapping above my mouth. I smile as I stick my tongue out. "Correction, your mouth and tongue are both stained," she says as she smirks down at me.

"Are not," I argue.

"Are too," Ife states.

"Are not," I huff as I turn my attention to Viola who is watching us bicker with an amused smile on her lips.

"Children, please be quiet," Viola says, sounding very much like she is joking.

"Not a child," I huff as I cross my arms over my chest. "Butthead," I mutter, earning a chuckle from Ife.

"Darling, I think you just proved yourself wrong with your little mutter of name calling," Citra says, Cassiopeia nodding in agreement.

"Can't you two not get along? I like that more," I inform them, giggling when Ife runs her fingers down my side. I squirm away, falling off of the couch.

"Brat," Citra says, a fond smile on her face when I look up from the floor to see her.

"I am not a brat," I disagree as I stand up, going to Viola who raises an eyebrow.

"You just called me a butthead and now you want to lay in my lap?" she asks after a moment, making me nod my head. "Fine, come here," she sighs as she pats her lap. I smile at her words as I throw myself onto the couch, resting my head on her lap.

"I like you the most out of the rest of the mean buttheads," I inform Viola, making her grin.

"Rude," Cassiopeia says as she gets up, moving over towards us. I squeal as I hide my face against Viola, freezing when there is a knock at the door. I stand up, running my fangs over my bottom lip as I look in the direction of the front door.

"Should I answer it?" I ask as I look at Citra, making her pause as she glances at me.

"That is entirely up to you, it is your home," Citra informs me, her voice quiet.

"I'll answer it," I say hesitantly as I leave the living room, going to the front door. I can smell who is on the other side before I even open the door. I open the door, stepping outside before Ezekiel can come inside.

"Hey, I wanted to check on you," Ezekiel says, making me smile slightly at him. I have my hair falling to cover my face, not wanting him to see my blood red eyes staring at him.

"Thanks, I really appreciate that," I state. "I would invite you in but my aunts are in the living room. I'm sure they're already gossiping that I met someone outside instead of bringing you in," I say, earning a small chuckle from him.

"It's fine," Ezekiel says as he presses a quick kiss to my lips. I smile softly but pull away, not wanting him to taste the blood that still clings to my lips.

"So, what are you doing here? Did you miss me that much?" I tease as I smile up at him, making him roll his eyes.

"I did and you know it. How could anyone not miss seeing your gorgeous face?" Ezekiel says as he cups my face, making me grin.

"I don't know. I ask myself that same question everyday," I sigh dramatically, earning a chuckle from him.

"I would say that you are full of yourself," Ezekiel starts to say but trails off, a small smirk on his lips.

"But?" I ask, tilting my head.

"If you weren't some damn gorgeous. I can't believe I've missed seeing you so much," he murmurs as he leans forward, glancing at my lips. I freeze as I take a small breath, the scent of his cologne filling my nose. With it follows a sharp smell, one that makes my blood burn. It's the scent of vampire blood, so sweet and calling to me and it clings to him like a second skin.

"I...we can't," I say as I pull away, staring at the leather jacket he's wearing. That's the scent that the blood clings to, it makes me feel ill just being near it.

"Why? What's wrong?" Ezekiel asks as he glances at the jacket he's wearing. "I borrowed it from my dad, you don't like it?" he asks. His words send some relief through me but it doesn't ease the painful ache that is in my heart.

"No, no it's lovely," I lie. "I just am not feeling that well and I would rather not get you sick. I know how important your work at the blood bank is to you," I mutter. Ezekiel frowns, looking concerned for a brief moment.

"Oh," he says slowly. "You're sick on top of your family visiting? That is terrible," Ezekiel says.

"I know," I say as I wrinkle my nose up with a small frown. "Can you believe my terrible luck? It's better now that I got to see you though," I inform him, earning a small smile from.

"Is it?" Ezekiel says, a smile on his lips. "Well perhaps I should come by again tonight? Several times, just to make your day better," he says.

"I think you would get bored of doing that very quickly," I inform him.

"I could never get bored of seeing you," he says. I smile softly, trying hard not to breathe in the scent of blood that clings to him.

"That's good," I say, pausing for a moment. "I should go back in, my aunts have probably started saying that I've been murdered and thinking about how famous they'll be on a true crime podcast," I say with a teasing grin.

"Your family does that too?" Ezekiel chuckles as he nods his head. "I will come see you tomorrow then gorgeous," he says before turning and leaving. I watch him go before stepping inside, leaning against the wall as my heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. Why was it so hard to think about breaking up with him? I stay leaning against the door for what feels like forever until Cassiopeia steps into the hallway.

"You alright?" she asks and I shake my head, making her come to me and wrap her arms around me tightly. I lean into her hold, letting the tears fall down my face.