Chapter 5

*Wren's P.O.V*

I had spent the next week worrying about meeting the Council. Cassiopeia had constantly reassured me that she would keep my interaction with the Council to a minimum. I think we had different definitions of minimum though. My definition was not meeting the Council at all whereas she actually wanted me to meet them.

Draven agreed with me, citing the fact that he knew the Council and they could be quite intimidating. Cassiopeia had simply glared at him when he said, saying that he wasn't helping.

Cassiopeia had practically forced me to drink blood the day of the meeting, saying that having an empty stomach wouldn't help my nerves in the slightest. We also had to leave early which wasn't fun and I had to sit in the backseat of the car. I had no one to sit with me which in the long run was probably for the best as I ended up stretching out over the seats to rest.

Cassiopeia and Draven spent the ride talking about some things that I didn't understand. I guess you had to be a part of a Coven to fully understand what they were speaking about. I simply tuned out their conversation for the most part.

The sun was high in the sky by the time we got to the Council meeting place. A shiver ran down my spine as something heavy and oppressive seemed to feel the air. It suddenly stopped with a sudden pop and I sat up with a frown.

"It was just the wards," Cassiopeia reassured me as she looked back at me.  I stared at her in confusion and she sighed. "The Council has some connections with some witches who put up protective wards which are like magic barriers," she explained as Draven parked the car.

"I don't like them," I muttered as I unbuckled my seatbelt, looking out the window at the tall building. Cassiopeia got out of the car and opened my door, holding out her hand for me to take. "I don't want to meet them," I muttered quietly as I took her hand.

"I promised you I would keep the interaction to a minimum," Cassiopeia reassured me as her thumb rubbed across the back of my hand as I hopped out of the car. She interlaced our fingers together as we walked. Draven was on her other side and had linked their arms together.

I listened to Cassiopeia's heartbeat, focusing on the sound as we made our way into the building. Her thumb continued to rub small circles on the back of my hand. My fangs dug into my bottom lip as I looked around the hallways.

It seemed that this place was behind the times as there was no electricity, the only light came from candles that lined the walls. My nails dug into the palm of my free hand as I grew more and more tense. Cassiopeia whispered reassurance as we entered a room, one that was empty except for two couches and some paintings on the walls.

"I'll stay with her," Draven told Cassiopeia. I curled up on one of the couches, bringing my knees to my chest. Draven sat down next to me and offered his hand for support. My nails had dug into my hand to the point of drawing blood which he carefully wiped away.

Cassiopeia paused in front of me for a moment. She kissed my forehead before entering the room, the door shutting heavily behind her.

"You know the Council isn't that scary, I promise," Draven said softly. "I spent some time around the Council members when I was younger and I promise that you have nothing to be scared of," he said simply.

"You can keep saying that but I don't believe you," I retorted as I watched the nail marks on my palm start to heal themselves. "The last vampire I met before you and Cassi left me for dead in an alleyway. Well technically he left me for dead in a bed but then he dumped my body in an alleyway," I muttered.

"And what he did was horrible and would have never been allowed if these people knew. The Council exists to prevent vampires from doing what he did," Draven informed me. I nodded my head as I rested my head against his arm.

"I don't want to leave you and Cassi, I like you both too much," I murmured quietly.

"I promise you kiddo, no one is going to make you leave us," Draven said as he rubbed my back reassuringly. "Also don't let Cassiopeia know you call her that, she hates nicknames. Last time I called her a nickname she locked me out of our room," he stated. I giggled at the thought as I imagined him stuck outside of their bedroom.

I immediately pressed into his side when the door opened, barely peeking out to see Cassiopeia leave the room. She was holding a stack of papers and stopped in front of me. It was actually a stack of photos and she held it out to me.

"I need you to look at these and tell me if one of them is the one who turned you," Cassiopeia said quietly. I hesitantly took them, my hands shaking as I went photo by photo through the stack. About halfway through I spotted a familiar face and I paused, holding it out to her.

"That's him," I said quietly as I refused to look at the photo again.

"Are you sure?" Cassiopeia asked.

"Yes, I'm positive," I said simply. Cassiopeia hummed softly as she took the other photos and placed the one I picked out on top. I watched as she entered the room curiously, wondering what was going to happen now.

Draven tried to distract me from my thoughts by asking if I wanted to play Connect 4 when we got back home. Obviously I did, that was a stupid question to ask. The real conversation turned when he asked if I thought I had a chance at winning. I obviously was going to win and crush his tiny ego which I gladly informed him.

The door slammed open and Cassiopeia shut the door behind her rather loudly. "It was just who we thought it was," she muttered as she leaned against the wall. "That means she who shall not be named has first claim," she said.

"Be nice to my Creator, Cassiopeia," Draven rolled his eyes. "She's really a nice woman who turned me with my permission. Her and Cassi just like to butt heads sometimes," he stated.

"What did you call me?" Cassiopeia asked as she glared at him. I was still busy trying to process all that he said as he tried to use me as a shield.