Chapter five: The Devils in the details

"(Y/N), wake up please!"

I hear my brother's voice and my eyes flutter open as I go to move my hands but can't, feeling rope around my wrists.

"Damn, that hurt. Jaskier, you and Geralt alright?"

I ask, pulling against the ropes that bound my hands and I look around our environment, noticing Geralt still passed out against Jaskier.

"He's out cold but I'm fine. You okay, your head is bleeding."

Jaskier asks me worried and I just notice the throbbing in my forehead and grit my teeth together.

"I'm fine. What's happening, who took us?"

I ask, Geralt finally coming to and pulling against the restraints and I internally sigh in relief that he's okay.

"I don't know, but now this is the part where we escape."

Jaskier says as I hear footsteps approach and Geralt glares, a scowl on his face as he continues to struggle against the ropes.

"This is the part where they kill us!"

Geralt says angrily and I glare at my brother as the footsteps get closer and an elven female enters with a male behind her and the male grabs my brother's lute from the table as the female kicks Geralt in his chest.

"Beast."

The female elf says and I growl at her, trying to get to them both but the male punches me in the mouth, kicking me in the stomach hard and I cough up blood, falling to my knees in pain, Jaskier glaring at him.

"Oi leave my lute and my sister alone you brute!"

Jaskier growls out and I shoot him a look.

"I'm fine Jaskeir, I've been through worse."

The male elf breaks the lute against his knee and hits me with one of the broken pieces, cutting my cheek open.

"Leave the woman alone, she's with the bard."

Geralt says furious, and I chuckle softly and sit myself back up against the rock wall.

"Like I said, I'll be fine Geralt. Worry about yourself."

The female elf tells me to shut up in Elder before slamming her fist into my chest and I growl out a groan and Jaskier says he only got half of what she said.

"Humans shut up."

She says to him in English and I thank her for clarifying in elder, Jaskier smirking at me before he's kicked in the stomach as well.

"Do you wanna die now?"

She says in anger and I roll my eyes as Geralt snaps back at her,

"As opposed to later?"

And she kicks him in the chest again.

"You don't deserve the air you breathe, you destroy everything you touch!"

She mutters as I hear more footsteps as she leans down to Geralt and slams his head into her knee and I yell at her to stop.

"Are you too afraid to face an unbound man you wench?!"

I growl out at her and she glares at me, the male elf slamming his fist into my mouth again and I glare at him, urging him to do worse and he grabs my head, bashing it against the rock wall and my eyesight fades, black splotches fill my vision as I slump down to the floor.

"Enough! Leave her alone."

I hear Geralt speak, Jaskier trying to move closer to me and I shake my head at him.

"I-im fine, Jas."

I mumble in an attempt to calm him down, my conscience slipping again and I fade in and out, hearing bits and pieces as a new elf and the sylvian enter the room and I hear Geralt mention something about me and Jaskier but the words don't process, except for the name Filavandrel.

"She was right."

Jaskier mutters and I move my arms again, fighting to keep myself awake.

"Oh come on Jas, when am I not?"

He looks at me, and I feel more blood begin to pour down my cheek as I sit myself back up.

"That hit should have knocked her out."

The female elf says in disbelief and I chuckle deeply, opening my eyes and giving her a smirk.

"It takes more than a few punches to hurt me lovely."

I notice Geralt's shoulders relax, almost as if he was happy to hear my voice.

"If you must kill me, then I'm ready. But the Sylvian is right, don't call me human."

Geralt says and I see that Filavandrel is holding a knife as he stands and my heart drops. He was going to kill him. It was almost as if time slowed down as he readied the knife, and Geralt tilted his head up, almost to give him room for a clean hit. My heart felt like it was being stabbed seeing Geralt give up, and I closed my eyes, waiting for the sound of the blade meeting his throat but instead I heard ropes being cut. I open my eyes again and see Geralt moving his arms to rub his wrists as Filavandrel cuts the ropes around my brother's arms, turning to me and doing the same and I rub the bruised flesh gently. Filavandrel grabs my hand and helps me up, my head swimming as I blink a bit to focus my eyes.

"I'm sorry."

I say to him quietly as Geralt talks with the sylvain named Torque with my brother and he gives me a strange look.

"Why are you sorry?"

Filavandrel asks me and I look at him with sadness.

"I'm sorry for what humans did to you and your people. You didn't deserve it."

He gives me a soft smile and squeezes my hand gently.

"I'm grateful you said that."

I return his small smile with one of my own as he hands me a cloth so I could clean my cuts and I thank him again as I clean the blood off my face.

"You okay baby sis?"

Jaskier asks me, coming over and taking the cloth from me and helping clean the cut on my forehead and I nod.

"My head hurts a tiny bit but I'll be fine. You and Geralt okay?"

Jaskier nods, cupping my cheek in his hand as he cleans the other cut and I giggle at his serious face.

"That's going to scar."

Geralt's deep voice says as he grabs his swords and mine, walking over to me and Jaskier and I give him a smile, moving Jaskeir's hands off me gently.

"Wouldn't be my first one. Your head okay?"

Geralt gives me a nod and hands me my sword and I take it from him, strapping it to my side as he leads me and my brother out of the cave with Filavandrel and the female elf.