Chapter Thirty-nine: Times are changing.

Footsteps are what woke me up, sitting up quickly as Ciri grumbles quietly in her sleep. Someone pounds on the door and I get up quickly, Ciri waking with a start as Lambert shoves open the door. 

"Look alive girls, we've got company!"

 Lambert says and I glare at him as a woman runs into the room after him.

 "Stay back Lambert, I'm warning you."

 I say, reaching for my sword on the table and drawing it from its scabbard. 

"Don't barge into a girl's room waving a sword around, you moron!"

 The woman says, grabbing his shirt collar and shoving him out of the room as I lean down next to Ciri, cupping her cheek gently as a couple more women file into the room. 

"Ciri, I need you alert for me, okay sweetheart?"

 I ask Ciri, looking over her face as I see a mix of emotions flood her eyes, Ciri nodding her head ever so slightly before I turn to the woman who barged into the room. 

"What's going on out there? Tell me quickly."

 I ask and the woman gives me a slightly frightened look as she eyes my sword in my hand. 

"I don't know, first there was humming, then the building shook and then that man was shoving us all to this portion of the fort."

The woman says and I furrow my brows slightly at her answer, nodding before heading to the door, opening it and looking out as I see Lambert filing more women into the rooms around me, glancing at me with a slight scowl as I step out of the room.

"What's the situation Lambert?" 

I ask the red-haired man quickly, Lambert giving me a stern look as he walks towards me. 

"Monster in the fort. I don't know where, but Vesemir-" 

Lambert starts when the walls shake, and I quickly steady myself as dust falls from the cracks in the ceiling.

"Stay here, protect them."  

Lambert says before running off down the hall as the building shakes again and the woman huffs loudly.

"Fuck this, I'm not dying here. What's the quickest way out girl?"

The woman asks Ciri in a stern tone and I glance back at her as I see Ciri's face scrunch slightly in thought. 

"There's stairs to the north of the hall, a turret to the south... I don't know." 

Ciri says and the woman motions to the other women to follow her as she makes her way to the door and I quickly stop them, slamming my hand against the doorway, blocking it as Ciri quickly holds up her hands to stop the ladies. 

"it's not safe to leave this room ladies, you have to remain here."

I say sternly and Ciri nods quickly in agreement, glancing back at me for a moment.

"Exactly, besides Geralt-"

Ciri starts when the lady scoffs loudly, giving both of us a look.

"Geralt may be dead already!"

The woman yells and Ciri flinches and I glance down at her with concern, the woman softening her tone slightly as my chest tightens at her hurtful words.

"Look, witchers fight. We run."

The woman says and I give her a stern look as she tries to push past Ciri and I as I tighten my grip on my sword.

"No, I cannot allow you to leave. I will protect all of you-" I start when the building rumbles and shakes again and I brace myself against the wall quickly grabbing Ciri's waist to steady her as the women let out frightened yells.