4. Shi Qingxuan explains his clever idea

Three days later, Xie Lian woke up with the spiritual communication array of Heavenly Court in a wild uproar, and not for any official business: it was almost bursting with spiritual energy from everyone talking in a frenzy about the festival Shi Qingxuan was organising at The Wind and Water Temple. Ling Wen was trying to mediate the discussions, in vain. Everybody was talking nonstop at the same time.

Even though Xie Lian was curious, he felt his head throbbing and exited the array, trusting Shi Qingxuan would show up to tell him in person. Indeed, Shi Qingxuan paid him a visit to the Qiandeng Temple later on that same day, when he was there overseeing Hua Cheng's calligraphy practice.

Hua Cheng seemed glad with the interruption, and hurriedly made his excuses to leave Xie Lian with Shi Qingxuan, but Xie Lian called him back, "No need to stop your practice San Lang. The Lord Wind Master came to tell me about his festival, so there's nothing you cannot hear..."

Hua Cheng couldn't hide his disappointment and carried on languidly copying Ache of Separation once again. Xie Lian gestured for Shi Qingxuan to sit down and got him some fresh tea.

"Lord Wind Master, so you're here to see me, and not San Lang this time. I was starting to feel jealous..." he said smiling.

From where he was, Hua Cheng pricked his ears and said, "You're jealous of me Gege?"

Xie Lian said, lightly, "To be jealous of you means you'd have to show interest on someone else. That would be impossible wouldn't it San Lang?"

Shi Qingxuan, helping himself of another cup of tea, chuckled in amusement, "Hua Chengzhu, I used to play this game back in the day, and let me tell you, His Highness has you there!"

Hua Cheng however, smiled satisfied, and never taking his eye off his work, said, "Gege knows he can have me anywhere."

Xie Lian blushed and coughed lightly, and said to Shi Qingxuan, "My Lord, please tell me about your festival. It's the talk of town in all The Three Realms it seems!" Xie Lian knew how Shi Qingxuan appreciated an exaggeration, and indeed he excitedly started to explain the concept of his event.

After a while, Xie Lian was a bit confused. He never heard of such a thing in his 800 years of life. He kept asking questions, but felt he was getting nowhere. Hua Cheng, still copying his calligraphy absentmindedly, making his characters hard to look at, came to Shi Qingxuan's help.

"It's like this Gege: the mortals get to see the deities up close..."

Shi Qingxuan interrupts, "The deities in their most glorious extravagant outrageous selves!"

"...The deities get merits and devotees. And Shi Qingxuan gets some cash."

It dawned on Xie Lian finally, and he smiled, "My Lord you're so clever!"

Shi Qingxuan looked extremely pleased with himself.

Hua Cheng snickered, "Before you say anything just wait for you to be dragged down to it..."

It didn't occur to Xie Lian that he, too, was a deity.