24. Pei Ming casts his vote, but something is not right

Pei Ming at the beginning of the evening was just being himself, eyeing up all ladies around regardless of their spiritual status and flirting with the festival attendants. Now he looked definitely off; flustered, then drinking a lot as to curb some strange urges; this drag queen pageantry being truly a distressing experience for Pei Ming.

Seeing all his fellow martial gods and even his childhood friend and sword dressed and made up like this, looking for all intent and purpose like alluring and seductive ladies, Pei Ming was shaken to the core; this situation made him feel uneasy from head to toe as he started to doubt life itself.

Also, knowing Pei Ming, one wouldn't be surprised if he was particularly infatuated by any of them, what with all that drinking, as if to numb the senses and trying to cheat on the magical binding oath; making the "real" voting of an ulterior motive nature so the oath would block it.

Shi Qingxuan kept a close eye on him, signalling with raised eyebrow for him to speak, and ready to step up and give him some cues.

Pei Ming mustered what was left of his martial god charm and said, "Temple Master, fellow judges, stunning contestants, lords and ladies and who's dreaming at home. This is truly an evening of dream and wild fantasies..." he trailed off, uncertain if this sounded unseemly, given his reputation in the mortal realm.

He audience however felt it was appropriate, and exploded in approving applauses.

He took another sip of his wine and continued, "My vote goes to the queen who, being a bright young man somewhat detoured from his path of divine glory, still can find his deserved glory in the drag arts. The Flower Nymph, Pei Su."

The contestants looked outraged again; even though The Guoshi just proved the binding oath's efficiency, still Pei Ming voting for Pei Su was quite suspicious, given Pei Ming's obvious state of uneasiness and distress. But a way out of a magical binding oath wasn't known, so they assumed either Pei Ming's loyalty counted as infatuation, or he had something for red camellias.

Shi Qingxuan acted all high and mighty, and thanking Pei Ming profusely, waved his fan with great ceremony, as finally it would be the last judge's turn, none other than himself, to cast a vote.

Honestly, you just expect something suspicious with Pei Ming. 😉

Thank you for reading!