30. Shi Qingxuan visits Qiandeng Temple and makes Xie Lian an offer

A few days later, Shi Qingxuan appeared at The Qiandeng Temple to see Xie Lian and Hua Cheng. He had managed to skip his calligraphy practice, convincing Xie Lian to model for him instead; Xie Lian was sitting on the altar, with Hua Cheng on the divan holding a big pad and quickly and skilfully doing a few sketches.

Shi Qingxuan was wearing good quality robes and looked well-fed and well-groomed.

He greeted them cheerfully, "Your Highness. Hua Chengzhu.", sitting heavily on a nearby chair.

"Lord Wind Master! Good to see you, good to see you. Let me get you some..." he was getting up to make some fresh tea, however Hua Cheng said, "Gege don't move, I'm almost finished."

Shi Qingxuan looked at the sketches over Hua Cheng's shoulder and raised his eyebrows, well impressed Hua Cheng was actually very talented. He took a flask from his sleeves and gave it a sip, "Don't worry Your Highness, I brought my own drink. It seems I became The Young Lord Who Poured Wine once again!", he smiled brightly.

Hua Cheng said, without taking his eyes off his drawing, "Only not that young anymore."

"Crimson Rain Sought Flower what are you trying to say!"

Xie Lian, once allowed to leave his position, came hurriedly to sit next to Shi Qingxuan, and asked,

"So Lord Wind Master, I hope General Pei Ming isn't giving you a hard time."

Shi Qingxuan waved his fan, "He has only himself to blame for that. Now I hope Hua Chengzhu isn't displeased anymore?"

Hua Cheng snorted and said, "Useless trash, embarrassing Gege like that. But no I don't see Pei Ming as my competitor in any way."

Shi Qingxuan tapped Xie Lian's knee with his fan, and said with a wink, "Indeed His Highness wouldn't have such a bad taste like that!"

Xie Lian smiled, shaking his head, and asked, "So, Lord Wind Master, was the festival a big success? Tell us everything."

Naturally Xie Lian knew the dragrace was a stunning success, but since Shi Qingxuan came all the way to see them, be wanted him to give them a full account of things and enjoy his triumph a little more.

"Your Highness, Hua Chengzhu, I've been exhausted, overwhelmed by offers of branching out, making it a regular thing in all Wind and Water temples for the local deities to compete."

Shi Qingxuan looked mighty pleased with himself, showing it as he waved his fan.

Xie Lian smiled, "Lord Wind Master, you worked hard."

"Actually, Your Highness, I've been so busy I could do with another host for the local festivals? Someone as charismatic and resourceful such as yourself, not to mention talented in the drag arts..."

Xie Lian didn't know whether to laugh or cry, while Hua Cheng just laughed.

Shi Qingxuan fished a bag of gold from his sleeves, and gave it to Hua Cheng saying, "Hua Chengzhu, thank you ever so much for trusting this lowly one, and as promised, I'm here to pay my debt."

However, Hua Cheng simply said, "No need. Use this gold to hire a decent co-host instead of dragging Gege down again. Unless Gege wants to follow the drag path?", he smiled teasingly.

Xie Lian politely declined Shi Qingxuan's offer.

"Your Highness, by the way the dream talismans worked so well! You're indeed a highly skilled cultivator." He then turned to Hua Cheng, "And I believe my lord Hua Chengzhu provided the spiritual energy for them? Thank you ever so much!"

Hua Cheng smiled meaningfully and glancing at Xie Lian, answered, "My pleasure." 

Thank you for reading! Please vote, comment and follow me! 😄