11. Xie Lian meets an old acquaintance

Hua Cheng usually stayed in bed pretending to be asleep till Xie Lian decided to wake him up, but that morning he was nowhere to be seen. 'San Lang must have some urgent business to attend', he thought; he got up, got dressed and wandered around Paradise Mansion, till he found Hua Cheng at his black jaded divan, receiving some report from Yin Yu, or XiaXian Yue Officer as he was known and feared in Ghost City.

Seeing Xie Lian, Hua Cheng smiled brightly and said, "Gege, come and have some breakfast."

Yin Yu, after Xie Lian's arrival, bowed stiffly to him and to Hua Cheng, leaving silently.

A silver tray was brought with sweet porridge, fruits and tea, everything daintily arranged, with little wild flowers around the delicate bowls of food. Xie Lian kissed Hua Cheng good morning, then sat down by his side to have breakfast, while Hua Cheng caressed his back lightly.

He said, "I made enquiries and sent for someone to come and help you with your outfit and makeup." He smiled smugly, "Remember Ghost City's been pioneering the art of drag for centuries now. We have the best people, and Gege deserves nothing but the best."

Xie Lian smiled, and then asked uneasily, "But, San Lang, wouldn't it be cheating, relying on someone else like that?"

Hua Cheng replied, "Not at all Gege. You're allowed to have a style advisor, or a whole team of them. Just ask Shi Qingxuan, he'll tell you."

"Thanks San Lang, I'm nothing without you.", he put his hands together and smiled, making Hua Cheng delighted after hearing such words.

Yin Yu returned with a small figure following him timidly, with lowered head.

Hua Cheng got up, taking Xie Lian by the hand, and made the introductions. "This young lady was recently deceased and came to Ghost City not long ago, but according to my sources she's indeed very talented, insightful and original. Her eyes and hands have unparalleled skills in the drag arts."

The small figure wore a simple dark blue smock, rather looking like a painter and decorator, and a plain white mask, expressionless. You couldn't think of a more inconspicuous person in the whole of Ghost City.

Xie Lian stepped forward and said politely, "Er, hello? Glad to make your acquaintance." Then he added, with a small laugh, "So, in your expert opinion, you think you can turn me into a decent drag queen?"

The figure said, "It's already been done.", Then she removed her mask, and said, "Young lord."

Xie Lian was aghast; she had indeed turned him into a decent drag not long ago, dressing him up as a bride. It was none other than the young girl who died on his mission at Mount Yu Jun, Xiao Ying.