Chapter Five - Friends and Family

I was helping Demelza with the large basket of kindling when we returned. Ross was just leaving, his horse having been readied.

"Demelza, you look weary to the bone. Are they making you a beast of burden?" Ross questioned

"No, sir, I be content sir." Demelza answered. i knocked her shoulder and gave her a look to speak the truth "It be that Jud, he be saying I got ideas, but I ain't got ideas." she broke

"No?"

"I do know my place." she assured him

"Your place is where I say it is. And I say it's here." he replied "Abigail, fetch your cloak." I turned to him confused

"My cloak? I haven't had a cloak in years." I tel him. He scowls slightly but gestures me to follow him and he helps me up onto his horse. The two of us left and I was tasked with buying fish. Once we arrived I made my way down to the bay to have a bargain. I stood there with arms folded as he tried to con me out of fourpence. During the struggle I noticed Verity come out of a boarding house with a navy man. I cleared my throat and looked away.

"You sell for threepence or I take my business else where and let everyone know along the way your a thief." I retorted he scowled at me. I smirked and handed over the money in return for the barrel of fish. I made my way back to where Ross was having his meeting. He was just exiting.

"That old codger tried to swindle me, but I beat him down." I grinned proudly.

"I expected no less. A good day for us both." I looked back at the wealthy investors staring at us.

"Paint a portrait, it will last longer." I comment them

"Come with me. You are in need of something before we return to Nampara." he took me to the dress makers and bought me a cloak, it was a beautiful dark gold with a red lining. He also purchase a couple of dresses for Demelza and myself. I lifted my hood up as we exited the shop and gave Ross a grateful smile.

-----------

Demelza and I were in the kitchen cooking for this evening when there was knock on the door. I sighed in frustration, nobody came all day and they waited till the two of us were covered in blood and guts before knocking.

"Jud!" Demelza called and there was silence "Jud!" she called again.

"I'll get it." I wipe my hands on my apron and answer the door, there stood my sister. I cleared my throat

"Your here for Ross, I presume." I state staring at her with a plain expression. She smoothed out the little wrinkles on her coat.

"And to see you of course, sister. We have yet to speak in the months since your scene in Truro market." she added with a hopeful smile.

"Well, Ross isn't here and I'm busy. So you can either come in and wait or come back later." I answer

"I would like to come in." I step aside and she enters. I walk into the kitchen and start preparing some tea.

"Who's at the door?" Demelza wonders

"Elizabeth." I answer. Demelza drops her knife and swivels to look at the entrance to the other room.

"Why that little...." she goes to storm way but I stop her

"We'll have none of that. I can handle my sister. Just carry on working." She reluctantly complies as I finish preparing a tray. I carry the tray into the room.

"How have you been, Abigail?" Elizabeth questioned as I poured out the tea and milk handing it to her.

"I am well." I reply

"I was told that Charles relayed my message to you, but you have yet to visit, Trenwith. Or mother." she added not taking a sip of the beverage that I had given to her.

"She is not my mother and you have not been my sister for some time." i retort in annoyance

"Abigail."

"What? You think you can turn up here when you failed. We both lost our father and I was still a child. A child your mother loathed and only tolerated because our father deemed it so. I was an Orphan and you left me out in the cold. You have no right to stand there and play something you haven't been in a long time." I ranted at her, the damn of emotions breaking.

"Abigail, is everything alright." Ross finally appears. I turn to him and his confusion softens he steps forward and I huff out a breath and shove past him resuming my duties.