chapter twenty-four

I woke up the next morning and I had a black crop top on and some red booty shorts with black strips on them. It was around 11:00 am. Cesar, Monse, Ruby and Jasmine met at Jasmines house and so did Jamal. I wasn't going today.

I looked through the front window because Oscar wasn't here. I saw Oscar sitting on the front porch. I put on some shoes and went outside.

"Morning" He said smiling.

"Good morning, Oscar" I said looking at the street. Oscar suddenly got up as we both saw Ezekiel (Sapo), Gilberto (Cuete) and Travieso.

I stood next to Oscar. Sapo lifted up his shirt all the way and Cuete did a little bit. I thought it was hot of Sapo.

"You know where you are?" Oscar asked them.

"Ain't looking to scrap, homie." Cuete said.

"We were drunk. Didn't mean no disrespect the other night." Sapo said.

"So what did you mean?" Oscar asked.

"Jefferson, it should be ours now. It's closer to our hood than yours." Cuete said.

"Jayde, go put these on the table" Oscar said handing me his cigarettes and lighter. I walked in forgetting what I'm wearing.

"Stop looking at my sisters ass, Sapo" I heard my brother say. I came back out and stood next to Oscar. Suddenly I heard a door open. I heard Ray (our dad)s voice. Oscar and I both looked down as he started yelling at the boys.

"Ray, get back in the house" Oscar said.

"Yo is this your guys old man?" Cuete said as I rolled my eyes.

"Watch your mouth" Ray said as I looked away.

"You gonna beat me with you cane?" Cuete said.

"I said get back in the house" Oscar said to Ray.

"Go flip burgers, puto. Ay! We'll chop it up when daddy lets you out." Sapo said as Oscar walked toward them.

They started walking away and before they left Sapo turned around and looked at me.

"See you tonight, mamas. 8:00. My house. She already know the addy." He said winking and biting his lip. He pulled up his pants and walked away.

Ray and Oscar started fighting. I went inside to ignore it. I got a text from Sapo.

"In your backyard.. come quick"

I put on shoes and left.

Later on..

We walked to Dwayne's BBQ.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"Just wait" Cuete said.

Sapo slapped my ass on the way in. We turned to see my dad.

"What can I get you?" Ray asked.

"Spaghetti" Cuete said.

"Pepperoni pizza" Cuete said again.

"How about chicken?" Sapo said putting his arms around my waist so my back was touching his stomach.

"I think you better get outta here" Ray said looking at all of us.

"Or what? Bitch." Cuete asked.

"I got this Ray" Dwayne said.

"Jayde, why aren't you with Jamal and them? Why are you with these punk fools?" Dwayne asked me.

"Jamal has been uh- yeah that's for you to find out." I said shutting up.

"What can I get for your gentlemen?"

"Tax" Cuete said.

"Are you gonna order something or are we gonna have a problem?" Dwayne asked.

"As long as he's working here, there's gonna be a problem if you don't start paying." Cuete said.

"Isn't this your dad, Jayde?" Dwayne asked me.

"How do you feel about this?"

"Ray was never there for us and Cesar acts like nothing happened." I said as Sapo gripped his arms tighter around me.

They start arguing until he said..

"If you're not going to order something, you can leave." Dwayne said as Sapo let go of me. He grabbed some stuff out of a bowl and threw it on the ground.

"I'm sorry" I mouthed to Dwayne.

"It's fine" He mouthed back.

We walked out and went back to their house. They gathered the whole gang in the living room. They started planning what they were gonna do to Dwayne. Sapo got up ready to leave. I pushed him against the wall as they all stared at us.

"Please don't, Sapo! Please!" I begged.

"Ma, we gotta do what we gotta do. Is it because your friends with his kid?"

Cuete grabbed a bat.

"EZEKIEL, I SWEAR TO GOD!" I yelled as they started leaving. They all turned to me because I've never yelled at him or I haven't been calling him by his actual name recently.

Time skip..

Back of Dwayne's. He was emptying the garbage.

Later that night..

Everyone was in their rooms while Sapo and I were in the living room and we've been fighting for hours now.

"I MEAN WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT?!" I yelled at him.

"YOU WERE NEVER THERE FOR ME! I TOLD YOU I PAST OUT A MONTH AGO AND YOU SAID NOTHING ABOUT IT. YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WALK INTO A HOUSE FULL OF PROPHET$ AND TWO OF YOUR EXES ARE IN IT?! YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE GASPING FOR AIR?! I don't think so." I yelled. I started crying.

"I wish you weren't such a jerk" I said crying into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and put his head on mine.

"I'm sorry" He said quietly.

"I wanna sleep" I said as he carried me into his room and laid me down on my bed. I fell asleep right away.

The next morning..

I woke up with new clothes on and I was laying next to Sapo.

"Morning" I said yawning.

"Did you change me last night?" I asked.

"Yeah I hope that's okay"

"Yeah it's fine"

I looked at my phone to see a missed call from Monse. I called her back.

"I'm so sorry. I fell asleep early last night-" I started saying until I heard.

"Julia passed away. Her funeral is tomorrow."

"I'll be there. I'm sorry." I said.

"Thanks" She said hanging up.

Julia passed away.. holy shit..