//Escape//

Approximate Y/N and Ray first-meeting height difference because I said so. She smol.

ALSO if u dm me @/_glebbs on instagram I'll invite u to join a new insta chat. U can also join the "Y/N is hot" discord server; https://discord.gg/bdYM8Eqssh , which just recently hit over 60 members!!

And yes, I'm finally updating; 'cause some of y'all were acting like you were malnourished for content. I have another 3 draft chaps ready, idk when I'll post them tho. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

-----

The sun was below the horizon and the moon was overhead when the movement in the camp slowed. Zev's voice called out through the clearing; "We leave at dawn. Anyone not ready by then will be left behind."

There was a grumble of assent while the bandits lumbered off to bed, entering their respective tents. 

Several hours later, I watched while the sentries changed, well out of earshot. A tight frown rested on my face. "That Zev guy is smart." I muttered.

"I mean yeah," Cozbi hummed, "but where's that coming from suddenly?"

"'been watching the sentries all day today." I sighed. "Remember when we would plan our raids?"

"Well... it was often during the night when they weren't active. We'd raid towards the end of the sentries shift." Cozbi said."But not at the very end, because that's when the sentries start being alert, 'cause their companion will be coming soon to trade watches. What about it?"

I sighed. "You can't see the sentries from your end of the tree, but the watches they've been on today have been staggered and random. There's been multiple 20-minute shifts mixed in with ones that lasted up to several hours. I've no idea how long a shift will last before it ends."

"Why not just wait until a sentry falls asleep?" 

I shook my head. "I have no way of knowing the approximate time a new watch will show up. Suppose we do start escaping while a sentry dozes, only to be spotted by their freshly-awoken companion coming to relive them of their shift."

"Damn." Cozbi muttered. "I see what you mean. Zev must've set that up intentionally. And as long as it prevents our escape, he'll keep doing it that way. That also means he's not underestimating us as simple "noble children," which is what we were banking on."

"Oh, he is underestimating me, to a certain extent." I hummed, rolling my head to stretch out my neck. "He's underestimating how batshit crazy my plans can be."

Cozbi chuckled. "Fair enough. So? The plan?"

"Oh, I have something brewing- to get us out of the stupid situation you got us into." I raised my eyebrows. "But we won't be able to execute it tonight, 'cause of the stupid sentries. We may as well try this thing called "resting." We've a bright-and-early start tomorrow, after all."

Cozbi yawned. "Yeah, sleep sounds nice."

...Although apparently, the fucktard Zev's idea of "dawn" wasn't so "bright and early" after all, considering the camp was packed up long before the sun rose. 

By the time the sun actually shone above the horizon, Cozbi and I were already walking alongside the bandits. Cozbi walked in front of me, and our hands were bound on the same piece of rope, which was then tied to the horse-lizard-thing that demons use instead of actual horses.

We trudged at a fast pace, with breaks every couple of hours for the horses and those walking to rest their legs. Meals were stale bread and a handful of whatever mushrooms and berries scouts gathered while we moved. I ate these carefully, slipping them under my mask without showing my face. For the brief periods of time Cozbi and I were allowed to be untied, during meals and such, there was a significantly heavier security watching us.