//Choice//

I am the embodiment of chaotic neutral change my mind.

-----

"So? What'll it be, Y/N?"

My stomach churned as my eyes trailed to X's hand, extended towards me invitingly. As I hesitated my fingertips brushed against the demon's, and my neck prickled in a cold sweat.

"...What's the catch?" I spoke finally, my hand recoiling slightly away.

X stared directly into my own eyes. "Catch?" they spoke innocently.

"Why such a meager reward?" I said, lowering my hand a bit. "You should be... taking away what means most to me in return. Any way you look at it, this deal is ultimately in my favour." my eyebrows drew together in concern. "Not to mention... offering the promise yourself... it's... not like you."

The demon deity didn't retract their hand. "Just because it's in your favour, doesn't mean it won't be fun to watch. Seeing you agonize over not knowing what happened with the capital... Well, I feel like it would be enjoyable, that's all."

I still hesitated while my throat was dry in anticipation.

"I'm offering you a chance." X finished with an edge to their voice. "And if you reject it, I may or may not be willing to offer you another one."

I chewed my lip anxiously while I avoided the demon's eyes.

"Well? What's your choice?"

I drew in a low breath. "I..."

-----

The group of seven trudged through the forest, weary with travel.

"Are we nearly there?" Hannah complained, dragging a hand across a tree while they passed it.

Norman sighed in mild exasperation. "We're almost there."'

The group resumed their chatterless travel, moving quickly and quietly through the forest.

"Hey,"

"I swear to god," Ray snapped, "if you ask if we're almost there one more time, I am going to lose my shit."

"Seconded." Yuugo grumbled, stepping over a log.

Hannah huffed angrily. "I wasn't."

"Well?" Poppy asked when no one else would. "What is it, then?"

"...I was going to ask about that smoke." Hannah pointed to a plume of smoke that rose over the trees. "Isn't that in the direction of the capital?"'

The group froze as their eyes trailed above the treetops.

"Shit."

The first one to break into a run was Ray, and the others closely followed suit.

"Hey," Zack chuckled while they ran. "$10 says it's Y/N's fault."

"I'll bet $20!" Poppy chimed in.

Yuugo grunted. "$50 from me."

"Guys..." Norman sweatdropped. "...aren't you all broke?"

Poppy grinned cheerfully. "You're not."

"For the love of god, my money is NOT for you guys to bet with."

The capital soon came into view, towering walls reaching skywards. Alongside the sight of smoke, there was a clamour of fighting rising over the walls; the clashing of metal and the cries of injury and fear.

"It really is on fire!" Poppy gaped.

"Yeah, no shit, Sherlock!"

"Good grief," –Yuugo groaned,– "would you two shut up for two minutes while we find a way inside??"