Chapter 1

Mom never followed the rules, she lived in her own world. She went through difficulties in life but that never stopped her from following her dreams. Her family had expectations as she was royal but she never had the intentions to fulfill any of those. As a teen she had dreams and they couldn't be fulfilled in a village. She wanted to become an IT specialist, but her family wanted to hear nothing, they disagreed.  No child of theirs was going to the evil city but she insisted.
The family didn't want to fund her education and their word was final. She worked hard to get the bursary that she wanted. She proved everyone wrong, she was going to varsity whether her family approved or not.
Her mother warned her about the consequences of not listening to her elders but still nothing could be done because she was as stubborn as them. The day finally came, she went to varsity.  A taste of freedom at last.
I believe she went there to study but eventually she found a boyfriend. All her friends had at least two. She wasn’t committed to him because all she wanted to do was to get her qualifications and prove her family wrong. She dated for fun. Her boyfriend was after something , he wanted to sleep with her. Mazindwa was not ready but Tebogo was. On their one year anniversary, they decided to stay indoors and have home-made meal .
While eating , Tebogo suggested that their relationship must be taken to the next level. “It has been a year since we started dating. Don't you think that it's time to take our relationship to the next level?” Tebogo asked
“Next level? Do you want to meet my parents?” She asked in a funny manner.
“Babe, I am talking about sexual intercourse. We are not in high school anymore so don't act clueless, everyone does it,” He said. “ No! Am not but is it really necessary?” she asked
“Come on! Do you really want to be my girlfriend?” Tebogo asked. “ Do you really have to ask, I love you,” she said. “ Then prove it because those are just words, I am a man and I need you,” he said . She told him that she wasn't ready, she promised to be ready in three months. He smiled, I guess he understood it all. Mazindwa focused on her studies that she even forgot about the promise she made to Tebogo. She had no intentions of sleeping with him. He would have to marry her if he was serious.
Days went by, weeks passed. It was the 3rd Month since Tebogo had to wait. My mom had just finished taking a shower when there was a knock on her door. She opened with excitement, it was her birthday and she expected presents. Her boyfriend came with a birthday cake and some goodies.  While they were eating, he took out condoms. Mom was surprised, what were those for? “ You said that you will be ready in three months, it's the third month sisi!” he said. Mom said that she wasn't ready to lose her virginity, especially to him.                                                                                                                                    
” After everything, I waited and waited for you. You had no guts to tell me that you are not ready. All this time, you were lying to me. You lied to me. Do you know what happens to liars, they get punished,” he said furiously.  Mom started crying. “ Is that the best you can do? I've seen tears before.  I've had sex with all my girlfriends and I didn't have to wait a year but you made me wait. I waited and waited, do you know why? Because I love you,” he shouted.
“I love you too.” He said that people who love each other had sex.  He grabbed her and unzipped his trousers. He reached her undies and tore them. He pushed and pushed, as fast as he could. Mom was begging him to stop but he didn't. Her legs were shaking and there was blood running on her legs.
She cried so hard but her tears weren't enough for him to stop.  She begged him to stop but her voice wasn't loud enough for him to listen. As soon as he was done, he gave Mazindwa tissues for the blood and tears. He made coffee for her then put her in bed. She would not stop crying, he stroke her back and told her that it hurts for the first time, she must just cry because it happens to anyone.
He said that next time would be would be better.  He kissed her on the forehead and left. Mom felt dirty. How could he? “Next time? Was there going to be next time?” she asked herself. She didn't know what to do or who to talk to. It was rape, wasn't it? She could barely walk, all she could do was to cry and she cried herself to sleep.
In the morning, she felt dirty. She allowed a guy to sleep with her. She went to look at herself in the mirror, she could barely recognise herself. She was no longer a virgin, who would know? Her family wouldn't believe her if she had to explain what happened, they warned her. Her family was right, it was the evil city . They told her and she didn't listen but it wasn't her fault. She thought about their good times but she had to report the guy. It didn't matter if they were dating, it was rape. She wasn't ready and he knew that.                                                                                                                                                   
There was no excuse of him forcing  himself on her. He had no right to rape even though she promised him. She took a shower and didn't even look back because she is brave and she stood for all the women he took advantage of. Tebogo was arrested, the boy who rapes becomes a sissy in jail. Things went bad for him that he couldn't bare the pain anymore, he took his life.
Mazindwa's family gave her all the support that she needed. She was pregnant and she had to decide whether to keep the baby or not. She was innocent and her blood so she decided to keep the baby. She graduated but had to go back home to give birth. She didn't want anything to do with the evil city anymore. The city was evil and she confirmed it for her family, she went back to the villages where there was peace. She gave birth to a beautiful daughter named Sofia, me. She was the talk of the village. No one had ever seen anyone as beautiful as her .                                                                                                         
She was indeed beautiful and everyone hoped that her beauty would not fade away. After a year, the royal family decided that Mazindwa  should be married off to a neighbouring royal family. Arranged marriages! Mazindwa never liked them but what could she say, it was better than to marry a stranger and end up raped. The marriage was arranged and lobola was paid for her.
She left her home to be with her husband.  They got along well as friends, not people who were in love. They didn't love each other, everything was done for the family's sake. She gave birth to another daughter after a year.
Everyone was shocked, she gave birth to another Sofia. The child was named Princess and she was indeed a princess. People didn't see the difference, the kids were identical , not twins but identical. The family believed that everything happens for a reason. The secret was kept in the  family , everyone believed that the kids were twins.                          
Her husband decided to take another wife whom he loved. That destroyed her, she was fuming. Where was that supposed to leave her? She did everything they expected her to do. She put her dreams to stop for a polygamy, she couldn't. The fire in her started heating. She felt lonely, they didn't love each other but that was disrespect. She would become an option every time, she felt stuck. She decided to leave everything  and fled with her kids. My mom always narrated the story and we only found out now that it was hers. My entire childhood, I believed I had a twin but it was lie.
We went to another continent, everything was well. She got the job the job of her dreams.
My mom gave us the perfect life ever. We knew nothing about our fathers but it didn't bother us. Mom was playing both roles. We were beautiful, no one believed that we were from the villages. I did everything with my twin. I've seen many twins before but that one was my duplicate. We weren't identical, we believed that they made two copies and gave away the original. Mom would sometimes call me by Princess's name, we also confused her.
Ever walked, talked, ate and just did everything the same? That was magical! I loved my twin, my duplicate, same size, same body, same face and same, same. Princess and I were very close. Who wouldn't be close to her twin, at least that's what I thought. We did everything together, nothing could separate us, not even boys. We knew that we had to marry one man, we shared everything and that way we would always be together. Even though, I knew that Princess didn't want to be king's  wife, I did. I knew that we would have to go back home one day. I spent half of my life preparing to become king's  wife.                                                                                                                                                                               
As crazy as it may sound, I did learn our clans and the language. Princess didn't even bother herself. Mom didn't even want to hear anything but who would blame her? A lot has happened, we thought   that the only thing that made her leave was the polygamy. Finally, we completed high school, we could date now.