Chapter 8

It was the day before the big day, The day that I was going to be introduced to the villagers as their new leader, the queen. I was so happy until I received a text from one of the man who took care of Princess. I was so pissed off, what did he want? I wasn't going to answer the call but something told me to. “Hey, I know that I didn't pay you this month, I have been dealing with a lot but I will sort that out on Friday,” I said.
“Madam, everyone was complaining and the king’s death hurt them all. How could you do that? You said that no harm will come to her family,” he shouted. Nobody shouts at me. “I know what I said and it wasn't my fault. It was his time besides I don’t owe you any explanation. You work for me and I own you,” I shouted. “Not anymore,” he said . “What do you mean by that?” I asked.
“You didn't pay them so they found better jobs. I convinced some to stay but after his death, they didn't know what to expect anymore so they left. I am not a murderer.”
“Fine, you can all act like saints. Give me two hours to organize men who know their job. I want Princess out of this continent by the end of tomorrow.” I said. “Another thing, I came to check on her today and I didn't find her so I thought you took her.” Shakes said. “ Took her? She was under your care. When last did you see her? We had a deal, dammit!”
“A deal you decided to walk away from the minute you decided to not pay us. You didn't even answer your phone. I last saw Princess twelve days ago, I was the only one who came to check up on her,” he said. “You son of a bitch! How dare you? Do you know what you have done?” I cried. “Sorry madam, it's all on you. It's not too late, she can't be that far,” he said.
“I'll pay you just now, organize  men and look for that dog. I want her alive but if she gives you any hassles, she must meet her husband and I am sure that she will be pleased. No one messes with me and lives to tell a tale!” “Why are you doing this to your sister, she seems like a really nice person,” he said.  “You know nothing about me. You know nothing about Princess. Do what I pay you for, dammit!” I shouted.
Gogo came into the room and I switched the phone off. “Why are you drinking alcohol? You will harm the baby. Why are you shaking?” she asked.
She had tons of questions like always and I didn't even want to answer one on that day. “I understand, you are scared of how the ceremony will go. Don't worry,” she said. I just sat there and cried. “I want to be alone.” I said. She didn't say much, she respected my wishes. I was jumpy that day, everyone annoyed me but I was also scared of them at the same time. Something had to be done but Princess was nowhere to be found. It was just too much for me to handle, everything I touched turned into dust. I spoke to Shakes after every ten minutes but he gave me nothing, he had nothing.
Princess couldn't be dead but I was going to be happy if she was, her body would be a bonus. He looked for her at the nearby hospitals and mortuaries but there wasn't a trail. It was clear that it was an inside job and Princess was not dead. We searched every house in the village, I thought that she left the country or even better ,the dogs ate her. I got home and called Shakes again.
“Do you have her?” I asked. “No boss but we are working on it. We will have her by the end of Friday,” he said. “Dammit! Friday? It's Saturday today and you are telling me about Friday. Do you know what I have to lose, am clearly talking to someone who has nothing. Listen, I have a lot to lose and I hope that was a figure of speech,” I said.
“No boss , it takes time so it's very difficult to say when.”
The boy was getting on my nerves, my dreams were about to fade before they could even be invisible and he was telling me about Friday. “I pay you and I want that person now, dead or alive. I am not going down on this one but if I do, I am not going alone. Get me that slut!” I shouted. “ Sure boss.” He dropped the call. Dammit, everyone was dropping.
“It's a short notice.” I was  going to sit on that chair the next day and those who didn't value their lives would try to stand in my way. I worked hard to get there, I nearly died, I had days where I thought getting out of bed was a waste of time. I even mourned for someone's husband. I deserved to be their new queen, I deserved to be a leader, I deserved the crown.
Finally I went to bed, I was so sacred but not as scared as the person who thought of crossing me.
I woke up very early and tried to call Shakes but it didn't go through. Something felt wrong but I hoped that I was wrong.  The day started off well, everyone from the  other side of the family came  to congratulate  me. The things they said about Sofia, I wanted to strangle them but I had to act cool. We started hearing sounds then I knew that the journey had just started.
I never imagined myself being anything besides king's wife but hard work pays off. All I wanted was to be his wife, to get recognition and it got too far, still I regretted nothing expect for his death, he was too good to me. I was dressed and I was accompanied outside by security guards, I was living the dream. The poets were praising me, I was officially the madam of the village. I looked at everyone, my people and chinned up with confidence.
I was relaxed, I had forgotten about the drama with Princess. The only important thing at that time was to look like a leader and to make them believe me. I wasn't feeling myself, remember that I wasn't chosen, I worked my butt off. Shayna Baszler always says that hard work pays off and guess what? Like her my head was wearing the crown that day. The program started and everything went as planned , until I had to sit on that chair.
I swear everything was planned, everyone I trusted lied to me. They came out of the car and everyone was shocked like I was. I thought that Shakes came to support me but no! I knew that something was off but it was too late. They looked like a power couple, they had a lot to say but I was confused.
They came straight to me and I saw everything that I've worked hard for fading away before my eyes. Everyone’s eyes were on them, they could sense that the real queen was there. I didn't know what to say or how to say it. I couldn't even differentiate between black and white. My life wasn't over, I was going to give birth in jail and it was all my fault. I've never been that scared.
“Shakes, what are you doing here? Sofia you came?” I asked breathing heavily. “Stop it, I had enough of you. Don't you get tired of lying? Tell your people the truth,” she shouted. “ Shakes, h-ow how could you do this to me? We had a deal…dammit!” I whispered. People were confused and wanted to know what was happening.
The truth was about to come out but I wasn't going to be the one dropping the bomb on them. I owed them nothing. “Cat got your tongue? Tell those people the truth, tell them that you are Sofia and you had your sister kidnapped.” He shouted. “Yes, I am Princess,  king's widow. She had me kidnapped and killed my husband. She is a killer and dangerous to all of you. If she could do all that to me, who do think you all are?” she asked.
I was shaking, I couldn't answer any question or defend myself, I couldn't. “Pri-Sofia, did you really do that,” Carol asked. What was I supposed to say, “Yes, I did that and Princess is not a saint.”
“She did it and now she wants to act as a victim…Sofia is sick, she deserves to die a painful death…” “Hey! Princess stop, everyone must go home and the royal council will fix this. If she really did all that, then she will be punished accordingly.” Gogo said. “Accordingly? If she real did that? You don't believe us? Sofia must die, Shakes play that voice note,” she said.
“We had a deal and I payed you a lot. Get me that slut. She must be alive but if she gives you any hassles, she must meet her husband. Do not hesitant to pull the trigger. I can't lose everything I have worked hard for. Dammit.” That was the end of me, there was nothing left for me to say, I was caught. I couldn't defend myself because the guilt was eating me.
All eyes were on me, the pressure was too much and I couldn't handle it. I ran into the house holding my “expensive, princess dress,” that's what I would have called it but I was speechless. Gogo followed me and left the royal council outside to do damage control. All the walls I built were crumbling, I was crying when I heard a knock on the door. “Am I allowed?” gogo asked. “Aren't you afraid of dying?” I asked. “Sofia I need you to tell me the truth? Did you do it? Did you kidnap your own sister? Did you kill him? Answer me!” she shouted.
“You are also taking her side, you saw how depressed I was before her wedding. I tried by all means to show her that but no! She was too busy. Do you blame me? I also longed for her happiness. We agreed that we will be taken by one man so that we can always be together but what did she do? The first chance she got, she betrayed me. What was I supposed to do? Mom is not here and nobody's gives a damn about me in this family.
All you care about is money and the relationships. Princess did all that to herself, don't pity her. Everyone is pointing fingers but they know nothing about us. We were twins, Princess was my world and seeing her doing better without me made me sick. She could’ve at least asked for my permission or informed me. She said that she doesn't want to become a queen but now , she is fighting with everything she is left with.  She lied to me and all I wanted was to be happy. I never meant for things to get this ugly,” I cried. I was crying my lungs out but it wasn't over.
“If you never meant for things to get this far then why did you continue lying? I am the only person who cared about you in this family , the only person who worried about you.  I wasn't sleeping at night, all I ever did was to worry about you. I cried every night, I prayed for you, dammit! When were you ever going to come clean with me? When Sofia? When?” Gogo asked.
“I am sorry , I wanted to tell you but I was scared. I wasn't thinking, I am so sorry.” I cried.
“Do you ever think? What was your plan? To keep Princess looked up forever and keep fooling me? To pretend to be Mulweli's mother till when? Did you think about how this would affect him? Sofia, your child! What did you gain? Nothing,” she shouted.
“No, you are wrong. For the first time since I've arrived in this family, I felt like a part of it. Everyone cared about me , they all wanted to know if I was breathing or not. I was acknowledged, the king loved me. You loved me more and I was more involved in everything. I was happy and I wouldn't trade that happiness for anything. I would do anything to feel that way again. I am not sick, you are the one who is not understanding. I don't regret anything expect for his death. Princess deserved everything that happened to her,” I said.
“You should have told us about your feelings,” granny said. “When? The time you were celebrating their engagement? The time you were preparing her wedding or when you were planning a ceremony for her unborn baby? You were all too busy for me,” I cried. “ I am so sorry, I have failed your mom. I didn't know that you felt that way, you should have told me. I made sure that you always knew that I will always be here for you. I loved you,” she said.
“loved me? What about now? You don't love me anymore?” I asked.  “How do you expect me to?” she asked. “The same way you are defending Princess after everything she did, you never loved me. That's not love, he loved me with all my imperfections and made me feel special. That's all I ever wanted, he cared about me, well he cared about Princess. Did he ever ask about Sofia? You all people are the same,” I cried.
“ You should rest, you clearly ain't fine, we will deal with this later. Sleep my love, I am so sorry!” gogo cried. I hated seeing her cry, she didn't deserve to be lied to.
I tried sleeping but I kept seeing myself in a prison cell, that's when I knew that I had to apologize to Princess. I had no choice, my baby wasn't going to be born in jail. I hoped that she would forgive me, we were still family.