romeo and juliet.

this world is a cruel but
very beautiful place

━━  mikasa ackerman

MANGA SPOILERS!!!
MORE SPECIFICALLY
CHAPTER 139

WE all heard or know the story of Romeo and Juliet. The story of two forbidden lovers, whose love resulted in their death. Known as one of the most tragic love stories to this day. 

But what if I told you there was a couple whose story had a more tragic fate. The story of a boy and girl whose love for each other was never confessed between the two. 

The story of a girl who thought the world was a cruel place and a boy who showed her that it was also beautiful. 

Their love for each other was no secret to anyone but themselves. Anyone could guess there was something going on between the two. 

In a world where living was everyone's goal no matter the cost, true and real love was very rare. The two dedicated their lives to killing the beings for taking the lives of the innocent. 

That was till the boy had turned into one of them, but still stayed on the side of killing those beings. 

The girl made sure she did everything she could to protect him. After all, he had saved her that day, the day her parents were murdered, and just when she thought she would be too. 

He had asked her once " what am I to you" she was quiet for a bit and hesitant before replying " you're family" 

Growing up with and living with him since they were young she wasn't completely wrong, he was important to her and she loved him just not in the way as a friend or brother. 

When he was lost in his head after seeing the titan who killed his mother she stopped him and said  "that's not true. listen, I need to tell you something. You've always been at my side. Thank you. You showed me how to live with purpose.  And you - you wrapped this scarf around me."  with tears in her eyes thanking him for being by her side. 

In response, he replied "I'll wrap that around you as many times as you want. Now and forever, as much as you want!"

Some say it was an indirect marriage proposal while others say it was just a response that felt right in the moment.

" Ever since we were kids I hated you" 

Those words hurt her more than any battle wound. She couldn't find the words to say anything else just tears filling her eyes. The man she did nothing but protect even when she knew she shouldn't, apparently hated her since they were kids. 

But what she didn't know was that he really didn't hate her. No, it was the opposite, he had to say it or else he knew she wouldn't do it. He was gonna die and the only way to get her to kill him when the time comes was to make her think he hated her. 

His best friend confronted him, saying he hoped that she would find another boy who would mend "her broken heart". 

He couldn't take it anymore and finally said what he wanted to, or in other words his true feelings. 

"NO, I DON'T WANT THAT! HER FINDING ANOTHER A MAN?! I WANT HER TO THINK ABOUT ME AND NO ONE ELSE FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE! EVEN AFTER I DIE I WANT TO BE AT THE FRONT OF HER MIND FOR A WHILE! TEN YEARS AT LEAST!"

He knew it was selfish to let his own desire get in the way of her happiness. But that's what love does it makes you do and say and think selfish and crazy things.

Now you might be thinking, maybe they miraculously somehow manage to be with each other right?

Unfortunately not.

But I mentioned before that this was a tale of two tragic lovers right?

The boy did indeed end up dying for the sake of saving humanity, by the arms of the girl he loved and cared for the most. 

Of course, she wouldn't let that moment go to waste, giving a sweet kiss as a bid of farewell to her first and true love. 

This is the story of Eren Yeager,  the boy who sought freedom, and Mikasa Ackerman one of humanity's stronger soldiers.

The story of two lovers who never got the happy ending they dreamed and deserved of having.