Chapter 14: You have to grow up

"What?! No! I don't want to work in the military!"

Alice had a look of worry in her eyes. A look of fear.

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice. Unless you want to be a part of the scavengers, although we're low on soldiers now, I'm sorry, but you don't start until next week on Sunday."

Alice was sent back to her room. She decided to go to sleep, due to so much on her mind. All this stress was being pawned on her, and she felt as if her brain turned into a rock. She closed her eyes on the mattress, and tucked herself in for the first good sleep she had in 2 days. Although, she barely slept for 15 minutes when an alarm blared in her ears.

"Attention people, there has been a massive wave of infected swarming the center. All soldiers report for duty, and all citizens hide, a few infected have been reported inside of the base, be safe." the alarm continued playing, the children were screaming. However, Alicia didn't hear them next to her. She turned to see Roman fighting off an infected. Alice snatched a nearby lamp and banged it on the infected person's head. He collapsed on the ground instantly. And Roman scurried to his sister, crying. Lizzy joined in.

"Hide under the beds, okay? I'm going to go see what's happening."

The children obeyed and crawled under the bed together, huddled together. Alice left the room, there were tons of people from the military running towards the front doors, guards fighting off some of the infected ones which managed to enter the base. Alice glanced at a nearby pistol, and picked it up.
This was the same gun my mother used to save us. She DIED back there, because I couldn't do anything. It's time I grow up and be a better role model for my siblings.

Alice didn't know much about guns, but she could tell it was loaded. Alice placed her hands into a good position, and looked around, searching for any infected sneaking around somewhere. She ran around the building looking for them, and she found herself in the medical lounge. Mr. Jenkin was face to face, on the ground, with an infected man. The glowing eyes pierced Alice's mind, a scalpel in his hand, almost slicing Mr. Jenkin's forehead skin off. His eyes were wide.

You have to grow up

You have to grow up

You have to grow up

You have to grow up

Alice aimed the gun at the infected's head, and pulled the trigger slowly. The infected plopped on the ground, and Mr. Jenkin, panting, quickly threw the person off of him and stood up.

"Uh, thank you. Y'know, you'll make a good soldier."