Chores [chapter 5]

"Antonio's big day is in a week," Camilo sighed as he happily flopped down on her bed. She listened to him as she got dressed and ready for another day of helping Camilo with his chores. He brought one of her pillows to his chest and hugged it tightly, "I can't believe he's turning five already. I feel like it was yesterday I was getting to hold him for the first time..."

"You sound like señor Félix," y/n grinned with a raised brow as she came out of her closet.

She wore the usual white, puffy pants, a gray shirt she'd stolen from Dolores, and an ugly, yellow jacket that matched with Camilo's poncho. The towns people had gifted it to her for her birthday last year since she and Camilo were always together. They found it easier to know when trouble was near if they both had on the same color yellow.

Camilo rolled his eyes, "As if I sound like my old man. The closest I get is when I call you 'mi vida' from time to time."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," she shrugged in response.

Camilo simply scoffed, grabbing her canvas bag from one of the post of her bed frame and heading towards her window. He heard her behind him as she struggled to pull on her boots. She joined him at the window once she'd finally got her shoes on her feet.

She looked to Camilo who was smiling as he watched over the streets that were already bustling with people. As the time got closer, more and more people started to talk about his younger brother's gift ceremony that was steadily approaching. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was nervous. Mirabel's had turned out to be a flop, so Antonio had much stress on him. He was going to be the determining factor in wether or not the miracle of the Madrigal family was burning out.

"I feel sorry for the little guy," y/n commented after hearing yet another person gossip about the 'what if's. What if Antonio didn't get a gift? What if the magic keeping this village thriving was dying? What if the miracle died? "A five year old shouldn't have to deal with all this magic stuff. You may have some pretty snazzy gifts, but I sure as hell am glad I wasn't born into the Madrigal family. Seems like too much pressure."

Camilo shrugged, "You're kinda right about that. Abuela does like to stress mamá out..." He had a troubles look in his eye. Though he loved his Abuela since she was his grandmother, he couldn't help but feel a slight resentment towards her. Especially for the way she treated Mirabel, thinking the others in the family didn't notice. "Anyways, shall we get on with our day?"

He watched as the girl climbed onto her window. She looked down to check to make sure a certain something hadn't been moved. When she confirmed it hadn't, she jumped out of the widow. Landing with a small 'umph' she sat up in the hay. Y/n got out of the wagon and sent Camilo a thumbs up to let him know it was safe to come down.

"Geronimo!" Camilo shape-shifted into y/n and tucked his knees up into his chest. He landed in the wagon the same way she had, making the exact same sound. Y/n stuck out her hand to help him up; to which he gladly accepted. He brushed the hay off his clothes, "Thanks."

Camilo lead her through the town, heading straight for the parts of the village he didn't get to yesterday. He had a schedule. Each day meant he'd focus his time on one of the four quadrants of the village he and y/n had determined. It helped with spreading his time out between the villagers evenly.

"We're on three today, correct?" his counterpart asked, skipping her way through the streets that were already starting to become busy.

Camilo watched her take and apple and an orange from a fruit stand as she passed it. The owner was too busy grabbing something from behind their cart to notice. She offered Camilo both, taking a bite out of the apple when the Madrigal chose the orange. They cruised through the streets, Camilo peeling his orange as they went.

He threw the peelings of the orange in a nearby compost box, "Yeah. But we gotta be on our best behavior. I heard a cute girl moved in." Camilo watched from the corner of his eye as y/n's smile faltered, only for her to shake her head and continue to push forward with a false one. "No need to get all jealous. I only have eyes for you, mi vida."

"Shut up," she mumbled, shoving the Madrigal. He just laughed.

With the helpful distraction of talking, Camilo and y/n made it to their destination quicker than they'd expected. Camilo went on with his day, completing chores as he went. Y/n would occasionally step in and help, but she spent most of the time conversing with the people.

She and Camilo always worked that way. It was the most effective.

Camilo would do the physical work in relieving stress such as taking care of a baby while its mother slept. Then there was his parallel. She'd work with the talking. Her area of expertise involved easing people's minds with some lighthearted jokes.

The matching yellow clothes they wore weren't only to let everyone know trouble was near. It served as more than that. When they were around, it meant some would be relieved of some of their stress.

"So..." she sat down criss-cross on a crate next to one of her favorite vendor's stalls in that quadrant. "How's the wife?"

The man turned away from his customers and looked at her like she was crazy. He rolled his eyes before giving her a flat look. "Y/n, I am barely legal. Why do you think I have a wife?"

She shrugged, "Guess you're not drowning in pussy like I thought you were."

"Get away from my stall," he chucked a newspaper at her.

She laughed, scooping the articles up and running to where she had last seen Camilo. He was nearby. Instead of helping lift some barrels like he had been when she left, he was now manning a shop while the owner went to retrieve something.

When he saw her, he shape-shifted back into himself and flashed her a smile. Sending her a wink, he turned back into the shop owner when a costumer approached him. She went on with walking, deciding it'd be best if she let him complete his chores. It would give her time with him later to do whatever they wanted.

"Hey, Bugs Bunny!" y/n called out to some kids who were hopping around the street. They were getting dangerously close to colliding with a person carrying a heavy load of fruits. "Chill out. You're not invincible like he is, so watch where you're going."

The kids stopped hopping around and looked at her with blank faces. They stood still like zombies, staring at her like she had two heads. But she wasn't Camilo, so she knew she wasn't capable of doing that. The little weirdos started waking to her, not breaking their eyes contact as they got closer and closer.

"Are you sure we're not Bugs Bunny?" one of them asked skeptically.

Another kid spoke, "I think I am Bugs Bunny."

Y/n didn't know what to do. She was just trying to prevent them from running into a man, and now she was being questioned on a half-hearted insult. Things were not going according to the three second plan she'd made in her head. "Wanna test it out? How about you climb the mountains and jump off them when you reach the top. If you can walk it off, then you're Bugs Bunny. If you die... I told you so."

They gasped, looking at each other with worry now. This wasn't what they thought was going to happen. "But I don't wanna die..."

"Then I guess you can't test it out and see if you're Bugs Bunny," she shrugged. Her voice was sweet, but even then it was see through. She was obviously taunting them. Consider it payback for them not going along with her mental plan. "Now go along, and stop getting in the way of business. We don't want a billion people visiting señora Julieta, do we?"

They both quickly shook their heads. Both got a pat on the back before she sent them on their way, not forgetting to give them a final warning for the road. She watched as they ran away, dodging people and carts.

"Surprise," Camilo put both hands on her shoulders suddenly. He laughed when she jumped; Camilo had snuck up on her after he watched her send those kids away. "I think it's about time we start making it over to my house. Lunch is gonna be served soon."

"Don't scare me like that!" it took her a moment to register it was just Camilo. She shrugged his hands off her shoulder with a huff. She turned around and repeatedly hit him in the arm. "It's not funny!"

"Humor is subjective..."

"Camilo Madrigal."

"Sorry, sorry."