Spy [chapter 7]

Mirabel Madrigal turned five that day. It was supposed to be the best day of her life; I mean, she was receiving her gift after all. As the youngest Madrigal, she got to witness her sisters, mom, aunt, uncle and cousins amazing gifts, and now it was finally her turn.

But that day ended up being the worst one of her life.

Dolores sat under a table with a pair of ear muffs on. She had them tightly against her ears to get rid of the noise the many people in her house were making. Y/n sat down next to her, hand on Dolores's back and rubbing small circles. She never really liked the party environment. Even if she did know all the people in the house. Besides, she'd rather sit with Dolores and watch the legs of people as they passed by, not having known the two kids were hiding under the table.

"What are you doing under here?" Camilo squat down and waddled his way under the table as well. Dolores and y/n both gave a quick glance his way before turning their eyes back to the flowy dresses of young girls and women, and the flat dress pants of the boys and men. "Or you can just ignore me. That's the option you seem to like."

"Camilo..." y/n mumbled, starting to feel bad that she had ignored him. Her first priority was making sure Dolores didn't break down from all the noise again like she did during Camilo's birthday.

The young Madrigal tilted his head to the side, curls following the motion of his head. He pressed his lips into a line and gave a thin smile, "I'm joking, I'm joking."

Dolores dropped her hands from her ears. The poor girl just accepted the fact the noises wouldn't die down ever; not during Mirabel's gift ceremony. No matter what she did, her gift would always allow her to hear everything. It was a blessing and a curse sometimes. Emphasis on the curse part when she's trying to find peace or when Abuela was asking her to spy on someone.

"I'm sorry if I kept you here," Dolores looked at y/n while gently removing her hand from her back in which she'd been rubbing surprisingly soothing circles on. "You can go with Camilo if you want."

She was hesitant in accepting the offer. Even if she and Dolores teased each other and fought about the pettiest of things, there was still a sort of love there for her. In y/n's heart, she held a love for everyone within the Madrigal family. Even a small one for Abuela who she seemed to find pleasure in ticking off.

"Are you sure?"

Dolores smiled at her kindness and gave a nod, "Go ahead."

Camilo grabbed y/n's hand and dragged her out from under the table. They watched as Dolores came out too. It was about time she entertained some guest. That was one of Dolores's jobs for Mirabel's party after all. The three of them brushed off any dirt from the bottoms before going off in their separate ways and doing their own things.

Y/n and Camilo had to stay together of course. People were starting to get skeptical when they hadn't seen Camilo with his counterpart for a while. They thought it meant the two were planning something. But they would never do anything like that on their triplet's birthday.

Or they didn't try to at least.

"Hey, y/n?" Camilo tugged on her hand. This drew her attention away from Isabela who was making pretty flower necklaces for some girls just a few years older than she and Camilo were. Her eyes followed Camilo's to someone who looked to be about thirty sitting in a wheel chair. "Why are they sitting in that? They're not old."

"Maybe walkin' is just something they don't like," y/n shrugged, but she too was starting to develop an interest in the topic.

Camilo's eyes lit up at her theory, "Maybe they just don't want people to know they can walk!"