Chapter 19

"Are you ready?" Miriam asked Arthur as she helped him fasten his cloak the next morning.

"As I will ever be. It's the final tournament," Arthur replied as he looked down at Miriam who was solely focused on her task.

"And Prince Arthur will have his glory by night's end," she muttered but it was in no way malicious as Arthur's hands grabbed her forearms, stopping her tying off his cloak, her blue eyes flicking up to him as he felt her pulse quicken.

"How did you know Merlin helped me prepare the food last night? I've never given you any inclination that I could never cook before," Arthur asked, and her smile was nostalgic.

"The chicken. Only one person makes chicken seasoned that way and it's my mother. The rare times we had chicken, Merlin and I used to eat as slowly as possible to make it last as long as it could."

"Right. And are there any other annoying habits I have that you wish to tell me about?" he questioned, and Miriam's eyes ducked away from his as she smiled a sheepish smile.

"Nope."

Arthur rolled his eyes, their hands still joined.

"There's something else, isn't there? What is it?" he drawled, delighted when her eyes stared up at him.

"You snore," she blurted, and Arthur's eyes widened as the corners of her lips turned up.

"I do not snore," he insisted, and her smile grew to its full size.

"The first night we were here I thought a pig had gotten into the house," she admitted, and Arthur gave her a look.

"So now I'm a pig?"

"I said you sound like one, but hey, take it however you will," she laughed as Arthur shook his head at her.

Silence washed over them as they looked into each other's eyes and Arthur let go of Miriam's hands.

She knew nothing of what he was doing as he reached his hands behind her head, and she felt his deft fingers work the scrap of fabric that was keeping her hair up out of its knot, her raven curls falling onto her shoulder.

"Morgana gave me nothing this year since she doesn't know I'm competing, so, I was hoping you'd let me wear this for a little bit of luck?" he asked, and her smile was fleeting as she pulled his arm from beneath his cloak and took the cloth from him.

"With the final and the assassin, I would think you need a little bit of luck," she agreed as she admired the little bow she'd tied onto his arm. She didn't quite believe what happened next.

It seemed like a dream when Miriam looked up to meet Arthur's eyes and he closed the distance between them.

His lips were soft.

They were almost gentle as Miriam kissed him back.

She'd be lying if she said that the thought of kissing Arthur hadn't crossed her mind, but she'd never imagined how gentle and sweet it would've been as her hands rested on his shoulders and one of his was on her hip.

Time seemed eternal in that moment where there was nothing but the sensation of Arthur's lips on hers.

But all good things simply must come to an end as they pulled away, taking a breath before Arthur said, "I must go."

"Don't die," Miriam said in farewell and Arthur gave her a small smile before he walked out the door, leaving her in a state of absolute confusion.

Well, almost absolute confusion.

Miriam was certain about two things.

One, she had feelings for Arthur.