Chapter 68

"Oi! You! Go and get us an extra chair," Gwaine called to a servant as he and the three remaining knights of the round table split up a little bit to make more room.

"Mira, please come and join us," Leon insisted, the girl standing behind them on the wall in a purple dress, watching the acrobats that performed for Arthur's birthday in amazement. Even Uther was attending, the king had not been present for any events since Morgana's betrayal.

"Oh no, I can't. Not while the king's here," she said.

"Since when have you ever cared about what he thought?" Elyan asked and Miriam's face fell a little as she remembered the time Uther tried to kill her. Though she had mostly gotten over her fear, having tended to the king a few times in the last year, giving him potion after potion in an attempt to try and heal his spirit, he still frightened her a little bit.

"Look," Gwaine said as he stood, him being the only one that knew the full story, Leon only knowing part where she was almost killed but not where she was scared of Uther. "We defeated an immortal army, and Uther will have to go through all of us before he gets to you. So please come and join your friends for a meal, wildfire."

She couldn't help but smile at her friend.

"If you insist," she sighed and Gwaine grinned as he threw an arm over her shoulders and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"You're damn right I do," he said as he led her to her seat between him and Percival, who placed a full plate in front of her.

"Thank you," she smiled and the muscled knight kissed her hair.

"My pleasure," he replied, the two having grown close in the last year, Percival was actually widely interesting. He had the most fascinating stories from his adventures throughout the five kingdoms.

They were all amazed as people juggled and blew fire and did flips and jumps.

"That's incredible," Miriam exclaimed as watched on, all the other knights agreeing with her.

"It's not as hard as being a knight, that's for sure," Elyan piped up and the four of them all turned to stare at him.

"Let's see you backflip like them acrobats then," Percival replied before the ringleader spoke up.

"I require a volunteer," he announced.

"There you go Elyan. A perfect chance for you to show us how easy it is," Leon said, Gwen's brother merely glaring at his fellow knight.

"Prince Arthur, what better or more fitting occasion for you to demonstrate your legendary bravery," the ringmaster said and Elyan seemed relieved. "Do you accept the challenge?"

"Of course," Arthur answered, unable to say no for fear he'd seem like a coward.

He was still smiling as he was tied to a wheel, having stripped off his coat and cloak, but less so as an apple was stuck in his mouth.

And then the wheel was spun.

Miriam's heart was in her throat as she watched the first knife be thrown, landing next to Arthur's head as the audience cheered, save for her brother who looked equally as worried.

The wheel was still spinning as the second knife was thrown, landing on the other side of the prince's head, a prince who looked genuinely terrified.

Arthur's eyes were closed as the last knife was thrown, lids opening and wheel stopping to reveal the knife wedged in the apple in Arthur's mouth, Miriam, Merlin and Arthur were all genuinely relieved that he was alright.

"See, your prince is fine. There's nothing to be scared of," Gwaine said to his friend who glared at him.

"You go on up there and have knives thrown at you and not be scared," she challenged and Gwaine's expression was confused.