Chapter 87

"What happened?" Arthur asked as he stood in Gaius' chambers with the physician, his servant and his uncle, two days after meeting with Kilgharrah.

Lancelot's dead body lay on the table, skin pale and chest devoid of air.

"It appears he took his own life," Gaius explained.

"I guess we shouldn't be surprised. In all ways but one, Lancelot was a man of honour. See to it that he receives a proper burial," Arthur ordered before a knock on the door sounded and Leon walked in.

"Forgive the intrusion, my lord, but it's time for your announcement."

"Ah, yes, thank you, Leon."

And the king made his way to the balcony, his walk lighter and lungs able to easier swallow air.

"People of Camelot," he greeted as they gathered in the courtyard, voice louder as it carried across the space. "After a recent development, I shall grant your request into revealing the perpetrator that attacked Lady Miriam."

Murmurs spread amongst them before the king called for silence.

"This morning, after being imprisoned for trying to kill the Lady Miriam pending trial, Sir Lancelot took his own life."

The wave of disbelief that rippled across the crowd was palpable before Arthur called for silence once more.

"Despite his act of betrayal, we still owe Lancelot a debt for his sacrifice to save our kingdom, but for now, rejoice for I've also come to deliver an update on the Lady Miriam's condition."

He paused as a large smile spread across his face before he held a hand out behind him.

Fresh in a dress of silvery grey silk, with her hair flowing in raven waves and her face clear of blood and bruises, Miriam stepped out onto the balcony as the crowd burst into applause.

"After a full recovery, we are delighted to announce that our wedding is to take place tonight."

Another round of applause and cheers sounded as the couple smiled at each other, hands linked together tightly as the midday sun shined down on them.

"And," Miriam called out as she looked from her husband to be out to the crowd. "To celebrate this joyous occasion, we'd like to invite the entire kingdom to join us."

"There will be food and shelter provided for all who attend, so please join us. Thank you for your support and time," Arthur farewelled as they cheered a final time before Arthur then escorted Miriam inside. "I'm so glad you're ok," he said as he hugged her to him, and she smiled.

"Thanks to you. Thanks to you both," she said before moving over to hug her brother who was grinning at the scene. "Now, I will see you both tonight because I have a wedding dress to get fitted into. Again, because apparently, two days spent unconscious means getting squeezed into a corset again," she sighed, both men chuckling, beyond glad to have her back as she kissed them both goodbye.

But as she moved to turn away from Arthur, he pulled her back to him before dropping to one knee.

"What are you doing?" she laughed before he pulled out her wedding ring and she gaped because she thought it had been lost.

"It was damaged in the fight with Lancelot, but Merlin was able to help me repair it. So, Miriam, will you marry me?"

Her laugh was an unbelievably welcome sound.

"With all my heart, yes, I will marry you, Arthur Pendragon."

And Arthur smiled as he slid the ring onto her finger before standing and bringing her into a kiss.