𝟔. 𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐇 𝐊𝐈𝐃𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐄

The group all sat down next to JJ and Elle. The two moved closer together, their sides touching.

"Look I'm callin' it off. Alright?" the brunette stated; his eyes focused on the moving water in front of him. "Peterkin said, it I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

JJ tilted his head in annoyance. "And you believed her?". Elle nudged his arm and gave him a stern glare, knowing that Peterkin was the only adult who's ever cut their friend some slack.

"Yes, I believed her JJ."

The blonde boy turned to Elle and opened his eyes wide, completely in disbelief that his friend could trust a police officer so easily. "An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." He said with a small chuckle as he threw a rock into the water.

Elle lifted her fingers to the necklace that lay on her collarbone. Her hand wrapped around the charm. A shark tooth charm that she and JJ bought as kids on a trip to the Mainland Aquarium fit perfectly between her tanned fingers. She rubbed the edge anxiously as she listened to her two closest friends argue.

"All I gotta' do us stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." He lifted his arm, motioning towards the ground on the other side of the water. "And it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

The blonde rolled his eyes , yet didn't stop trying to skip rocks in the water. "You know what I should have done? I should have just let Topper drown your ass."

"Topper was gonna drown me?" John B said in disbelief, moving his head back dramatically.

JJ nodded and skipped another rock against the water. "Sure looked like it. I mean , have you looked in the mirror?"

Elle hit his arm and glared at him again. Her left hand still messed with the necklace, which the blue-eyed boy noticed. He tilted his head and raised his eyebrows towards her for a silent "You good?" check, before turning back to John B.

"Tell me some more! Come on!" The brunette said , trying to egg-on the other boy. Kie and Pope watched in silent amusement as Elle messed with her necklace.

JJ stood up and leaned against a wooden beam. His arms crossed as he looked back in dismay. "They always win, don't they, man?". He leaned his arm up and moved closer to John B. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" He said , angrily hitting a beam.

The blonde girl looked up at him in concern, wanting to make sure he was okay before continuing. "Can you both stop? It's fine! It's over!"

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." He gestured to John B. "I know you do."

JJ turned to Pope next , pointing his finger at the short-haired boy. "I understand why you don't wanna go. You're the golden boy. You got way to much to risk. And—."

He turned to Kie next; tilting his head towards her. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?"

"But you guys," He motioned to Elle and John B. "We've got nothin' to lose! We really don't! Lor took Elle's savings , you're going to foster care, and me? Well, my dads just a fuckin' asshat."

John B rolled his eyes as Elle shifted her weight from side to side uncomfortably. "JJ—."

"And I know it didn't use to be that way for you." He said, pointing to John B. "But Elle and I—."

The brunette scratched the back of his head. "I don't wanna' talk about this." He said, stepping forward, shifting glances around the group. "I don't wanna' talk about it."