12

Lando Norris

What the fuck am I doing here?

That was the only thought crossing my mind as I threw my head back against the side of Olivia's bed. That's right. Olivia Reyes' bed, both of us on the floor next to it as her breath steadied and her eyes fluttered before closing. Her cheeks were red and her face was completely wet, like both of our shirts due to her tears. I closed my eyes for a second, slowly examining how the hell I'd ended up here.

Qualifying hadn't gone as smoothly as I'd wanted it to. I was on pole position, but Charles had only been a few hundredths behind me. He was fast, so fast all of my interviews were focused on whether I thought he could beat me on the race or if I felt I had the upper hand. Of course Charles wouldn't beat me —he couldn't. Every question felt like an insult.

However, the Ferrari team was desperately clinging onto the hope that maybe he could snatch his first win of the season, meaning that while I was walking down the circuit towards my car, Charles and his engineers were overworking themselves trying to strategize how to beat me tomorrow. Dreamers.

Despite my bad mood, I got into my car and relished Olivia's absence. She had asked Gianna to come to the circuit by herself after our discussion the previous day. Words can't explain how ridiculous the entire thing was. I just told her I wouldn't stop by the fans because I wanted to go to the hotel and out of nowhere she started complaining about something completely different and stupid.

Of course I ended up snapping at her. Jesus, she wouldn't stop whining. Olivia's always on the simulator and at the gym 'trying to be a better driver' but maybe if she directed the time she spent complaining about useless shit towards learning how a Formula 1 car works she wouldn't be finishing in 7th.

I still didn't understand how people could actually believe I was even remotely interested in dating, let alone someone as irritating as her. Everything about her was carefully premeditated, every step she took and every word she said. 

It was so difficult trying to wrap my head around her being an actual person when every single time I looked her way I could only picture a dozen computers inside of her brain, all of them running every possible outcome to every possible situation she could possibly find herself in.

There was nothing real about her. Olivia Reyes was calculated, annoying, mediocre and the one person in the world capable of irritating me with just the sight of her. She made my stomach turn and my skin crawl and my breath fume whenever I heard her voice or recognized the sound of her footsteps walking towards me from her team's lounge or down the hotel hallway.

Why did it have to be her? Why her of all people my team could choose to put me in a PR relationship with? For fucks sake, they could've told me to fake a relationship with Carlos and it wouldn't have bothered me like being with Olivia did. She was the most boring person in the whole world. No partying, no drinking, no fun or laughs, just locking ourselves in each of our rooms.

The noise. I'd just thrown myself onto the hotel bed when the noise began. My eyes were glued to the ceiling as I tried my hardest not to impulsively answer any of the messages my inbox was starting to get full of, most of them local models sending me their location since I was in town.

There'd been a loud thump against the ground. For a second I thought she had maybe tripped over something and fallen to the ground. None of my business — I thought, but the noise kept going. It seemed like she was playing the drums against the wall. 

Shut the fuck up, Olivia. Shut the fuck up. It was awfully loud and it only made me think more and more about how irritating she was and how it was her fault I couldn't sprint out of the hotel and make my way to one of the girls in my DMs.