22

-ˋ₊˚.🐚🏹 ₊° ꒱
🗒 :: chapter twenty-two ┊͙
╰┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

🐚🏹 ₊° ꒱🗒 :: chapter twenty-two ┊͙╰┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Hi."

"What?" Jeonga's head snapped away from the computer screen she had been focused on for way too long in an attempt to actually do her work, unaware that the office cubicles around her had almost fallen silent in response to the appearance of the speaker, who watched as the girl's eyes widened and she stood up far too quickly, bowing her head quickly. "Good afternoon." She added, a lot more polite than before.

Namjoon - who, as far as she was aware, didn't often frequent this department or this floor of his label's central building at all (predictably, he spent most of his time in the recording studios or practise rooms) - smiled back at her, dipping his head in a more friendly manner, Jeonga's eyes flickering over the employees around her who were trying their best not to stare or gather around them before back to him as she stood up, offering his hand.

She shook it quickly, confused. "Nice to see you again." He said, the grin still on his face. "I'm sorry for interrupting, looks like you were working hard."

Jeonga was; she might only have been an intern on minimum wage, but there were still expectations of what work she completed and her days of being off sick and the necessity of her being off-site and in other areas to complete that part of her internship meant that her office work had piled up and now that she was back she had a certain amount of time before her deadlines and was spending every moment she could working. That and she aimed to actually be able to rake up Yoongi's offer. But she couldn't quite admit that to him.

"Oh no, it's fine." She replied, waving her hand dismissively. "Just concentrating pretty hard and didn't notice you." As ECHO, the girl had worked with that leader of BTS almost as closely as she had worked with the oldest rapper, and now that he knew the truth of her identity they had reverted to the friend-like relationship that came when they were working together. Something that wasn't exactly appropriate in the current setting. "Apologies, Mr Kim." His eyebrows darted up at the use of formalities but soon realised why. "Is there something I can help you with?" 

"I - er - I believe you were working on a photo shoot with the group the other day." There was a similar change in his tone to something a little more formal. His head turned towards the woman who stood by his elbow, Jeonga's manager more than interested in what exactly he wanted her. "It's no problem if I borrow Miss..." There was a pause when he realised he hadn't learnt her full name.

"Kang." She inputted.

"Yes, Miss Kang. I can borrow Miss Kang for a moment, yes?" His request couldn't exactly be denied and instead, her manager, who was much more used to representatives for the group contacting her if they wished to specifically work with someone from that department - such as a few days before, when a manager had contacted and asked, by name, for her latest intern who seemed to have made such a connection with one of the men of the group that they preferred to work with her than any other, simply nodded.

It took a moment for Jeonga to save her work and sort out her workstation before following dutifully behind him away from the cubicles and into the hallway, stopping beside a set of double doors that seemed to be permanently locked - she had always assumed it belonged to the cleaners and supplies were kept. 

"I'm guessing you've heard a little bit about Yoongi wanting to help me make a song." She winced as she said it, the look on his face saying that she was completely correct. "I... I didn't know what to say to him. He seemed so enthusiastic about helping that-"

"I think you need to tell him that you're, well, you." Namjoon looked conflicted. "I can... I can keep your secret and after you very briefly explained in the elevator I do understand why you're doing it and I think that it was a good idea when you weren't so involved with him." 

"I know. I didn't mean for it to get so far." Her fingers knitted together and hung by her stomach, where the neat a-line skirt sat, a blouse tucked in it. "I just wanted to figure out the company and seeing as I've worked with BigHit the longest it seemed obvious to try that out first. I didn't expect to get so involved so quickly." 

"You have to tell him, Jeonga." He insisted. "It's not fair... and it's too risky."

"I know. I should." She swallowed. "I just... I can't. I don't know why but - oh, hi!"  Her head turned, slight panic in her eyes as she saw the man in question coming to a stop beside them. "Hi." She repeated, their eyes meeting for a moment and their last interaction outside of her apartment building coming to mind, the boldness of her actions ensuring a slight pinkness to her cheeks.

"Hi." Yoongi returned the bashful expression before swallowing. "Is... is everything okay?"

"Yeah." Namjoon took a step back. "I was just introducing myself properly, seeing as you've taken interest in her." Yoongi turned even pinker, Jeonga's eyes widened. "In her musical talents." He added after a beat, now looking a little more smug. 

"I was just about to come and find you."  Yoongi directed his gaze toward the girl. "I wanted to organise a few things if that's alright with you." 

"I can do it." Jeonga replied. "Yeah, I can."

And knowing that Namjoon's point still stood, and she really was supposed to tell him. But she couldn't; not then anyway.

 But she couldn't; not then anyway

no one told me how lonely it is up here

[ 🪐 ]