9

Gemma's POV

I HAVEN'T been sleep deprived in a while. It's different. But I know when I head back to work, I'll catch up.

"Bom dia linda," Estela walks over to the bed, and hands me a cup of coffee, "how were your dreams?"

"Boa. Yours?"

She leans in, and places a kiss on my lips. We've had a bit of fun for the past few days. But tomorrow is my last day here. And I'm not good at goodbyes.

"Filled with you. Sonhos sujos," she says.

"Sonhos sujos? I don't know what that—"

"It's nothing, querida. Want to have one last meal with me?" I nod, "vamos nos vestir então."

Estela suggests that we shower together, but I don't want her last memories of me to be my sagging body. No one's seen me completely naked in years. I do have a self-confidence issue. But it's something I have to deal with.

We get dressed, and she drives us to this beautiful place on the beach.

"I'm going to miss you," she looks at me, as we walk side by side on the pier.

"Eu também, meu amor," as much as I'm going to miss this, I can't wait to get back to my life—to what makes me me.

I've missed the feel of a paintbrush in my grasp—the sense of accomplishment within each stroke...

But I will miss Estela too.

I'm sure that I don't know her very well. Just the things she wants me to. We're just a jogar, as they say.

And I'll never see her again. There's something quite romantic about that.

"Tell your friends I said goodbye," I'm not sure if she understands what I just said, but I'll wait for her response.

"Goodbye?" She repeats, in her heavy, sexy accent, "isso não é adeus. We'll meet again. Algum dia."

I smile and place my palm against her cheek, "algum dia, Estela."

BEING BACK at my home, relief washes over me. Gosh, I've missed my comfort-pedic bed. I plop onto it and sigh. This is just what I need.

I wonder what Audrey is up to. And her kids. I'll give her a call once I settle in.

I take a nap, before I start unpacking. Then, I begin to clean. Vacuuming is not my favorite thing, but I love how the house feels after. It's like it's been relieved of ten pounds of dust.

I change my bedsheets, and start a load of laundry. Then, I realize that I should order some food.

When I answer the door, expecting my indian takeout, I'm happily surprised to find my two best friends.

"And you thought we wouldn't show up," Wendell saunters his way in, dragging Lizzy along with him.

Those two are connected by the hip. They're like Thelma and Louise. Ride or die. I'm just the third wheel. But I don't mind.

"Gemma. How was your trip!" Lizzy pulls me into a hug.

"So insensitive, Liz. It was for a fu-ner-al. Get with the program," Wendell pulls me in for a hug next, "you okay, hun? Do I need to introduce you to my friend Jia again?"

I shake my head, "no. Not a chance. I'm great actually."

"Really?" He leads me into the kitchen, "let's pour some drinks, and we can talk about it."

Lizzy grabs the vodka and three glasses, "did you meet anyone?" She asks.

"I've met a lot of people," I say.