13

Veronica's POV

WHEN GEMMA walks into the living room, relief washes over me instantly. I've been worried about her all night, since she hasn't been here. But, I assumed that she was fine.

I guess I just missed her.

"Hey," she takes a seat beside me, and leans back, "what are you watching?"

I answer, "some cooking show. You okay?"

She nods and sighs, "yeah, just tired. I think I'm going to spend the day in bed."

"Out late partying?" I ask, playing it off with a laugh. I don't want her to think that I'm interrogating her. But I do want to know where she's been. Did she meet someone? Did she spend the night with them?

Am I becoming a crazy person? Maybe.

"It's a long story. I might tell you the details later," she gets up and stretches her arms. "I'll see you later."

"Okay, let me know if you need anything."

Jack's POV

I HAD trouble sleeping all night. I'm on my fifth cup of coffee this morning, and extremely anxious.

Eleanor walks into our room, with a towel wrapped around her head, "did you wash your hair without showering again?" I laugh.

"Yes, Jack, can you stop teasing me about it?"

Eleanor dyes her hair every now and then. And doesn't like rinsing the excess color out all over her body. So she just washes her hair by leaning into the kitchen sink.

"Never," I stretch my arms, "I think I'm going to give mom a call," I reach for my phone on the nightstand.

Eleanor clears her throat, and looks at me disapprovingly, "you're so nosy," she grabs the phone from my hand, "so that's what you were thinking about all night? If your mom and Gemma are bonking?"

"No?" Of course, I'm not thinking of that exactly, "I want to make sure everything's fine."

"Yeah, right. You're way too obsessed with your mother's love life."

"Not. Let's just drop the subject."

"Whether or not they were a thing, you should back off."

I'm curious. Taking Gemma there was, of course, a strategy for them to be alone together. And I'm hoping they've gotten a chance to, you know, work things out.

Gosh, I really am a weirdo. I'm practically trying to get my mom laid.

"Fine," I huff out a breath, "I'll help you blow dry your hair to keep my mind busy."

Gemma's POV

"SO ARE you raising rent or something?" Helen looks at me dead in the eyes.

"No, I'm wondering if you want to purcha—"

"Does it look like I can afford to?" She snaps at me. I guess she really hasn't changed since high school. Still has an attitude.

"I wouldn't know. But I can work on a good price. I'm trying to—"

Will she let me finish a sentence?

"How do I know that you really own this place? Show me the paperwork," I have half a mind to give her notice to get out. But I remind myself that I'm not an asshole.

"It was my grandfather's, as I already told you. He's dead."

"Yeah, yeah. But how do I know that he actually left this place to you unless you show me the paperwork?"