Chapter 16.50

Adelaide had a love/ hate relationship with drugs. She hated the fact that she couldn't move. She loved the fact that her muscles did not listen to her brain.
She hated that she could feel everything, she loved the fact that her nervous system kept firing up, even under the influence.
What she loved most about the drugs was that she was being left alone. No one would harm her anymore, because she wouldn't be able to scream out. She wasn't able to give them the reaction they wanted.
What she hated about the drugs was that it didn't take away the pain.
Adelaide would continue to feel everything. She just couldn't do anything about it.

She couldn't move. She couldn't rub the spots that hurt.
She wasn't able to cry. Not that crying ever did anything except make her body worn down.
She was currently lying on the kitchen floor.
Pools of her own blood surrounding her.
She just wanted to sleep.
Sleep and never wake up.
But she knew the moment the drugs wore off she would feel even worse.

If only she could get to her room fast enough. Lift up the floor board and take a pill. Pills for those with withdrawal systems.
While Adelaide was working out how to do that the moment she could move. Candace started talking to Jason.
A man, early sixties, loaded. She was leaving, minimum of a week. Maybe more if it worked out. She would squander money from him.
That was it. She was leaving. Adelaide could leave. She would have a head start at running.
She could be free.

Free. Freedom. The word she always thought the definition was too far out of reach for her.
But now? It could be a word she could physically grab and hold onto.
Next week. Four days. Adelaide had four days till she left. Two school days. Two punishment days.
She would have to do everything tomorrow during school hours. In her lunch break and during computer class. Find a way out.

Adelaide would get out. One way or another.
This was the opportunity of a lifetime to her.

Adelaide could be free.