Chapter 18.50

Candace felt that Adelaide had not been punished enough.
The girl was getting too smart for Candace, always finding a way to stay just out of reach.
Taking away the lock on her door didn't do it, the girl hid in the bathroom.
Taking that lock down as well did not work. The girl hid in the attic.
She had actually found the latch and lock of it.
It was too old for Candace to take off, it wouldn't budge.
Candace also did not have any creative things to do to her. And so left the girl alone for a few days.

Candace ignored Adelaide for three days, making Adelaide think her mother had finally given up.
But that was far from the truth.
Candace was filling her bath one night when the ingenious idea came to her. Which made a satanic smile crawl up her face.
It was just after midnight when Candace busted into Adelaide's room and proceeded to drag the child out of it by her hair.
Adelaide screams of pain filled the house but Candace didn't care. She couldn't wait for her next artwork. She was so excited.

She dragged the girl all the way to the basement.
In the middle of the basement was where it stood. Candace's new version of torture for Adelaide.

A Water Barrel.
A water barrel filled to the brim with water.
Candace stopped dragging Adelaide behind her.
She made her stand in front of her so Adelaide could see.
Adelaide could see what her mother's intentions were.
Before Adelaide could do anything or say anything, Candace had shoved her.
Shoved her head into the barrel.
Shoved her head into the water deeply.
Soaking Adelaide's hair and clothes.

Adelaide was struggling against her mothers grip.
Trying to do something, anything to have precious air filling her lungs again.
Candace lifted Adelaide's head out of the water and heard her gasp and cough at the sudden intake of air.
'You are a disappointment. It is all your fault. And now you will bear the punishments.'
Adelaide saw the evil look on her mothers face.
Before she was dunked back under.
And Adelaide secretly hoped. That, this way everything would stop.

The entire world would stop.

Stop existing.

Adelaide gasped for air again.

And went on for the rest of the night.