•~chapter four: over the top~•

The next day during lunch, Kanao was sitting at her desk, making little doodles in her notebook. A pink box of rice balls was right next to her.

"Hello, Kanao~san!" Tanjiro said cheerfully. "Sorry I'm late...I had to pick up something from the bakery before I could eat here."

'It's all fine,' Kanao wrote. 'At least you're here to eat with me.'

Kanao was about to take a bite of her rice balls when they heard a sudden outburst beside them.

"I can't believe that I forgot my lunch!" Inosuke yelled, shaking his head.

Tanjiro and Kanao nearly jumped out of their seats because of the outburst, and they both looked at Inosuke in annoyance.

Inosuke looked like he had a crazy idea, and he turned towards Kanao.

"Manao! The Lord Inosuke has forgotten his lunch! So, I want you to go to that new sandwich place called Platter Palace and get me..."

"...a turkey avocado sandwich with a tons of honey, oats, cheese, lettuce, pickles, olives and balsamic dressing on toasted bread. Make it a combo meal with basil fries and a large soda." he said.

"If you don't get it, I won't be your master or your friend anymore." he added, much to the shock of Tanjiro and Kanao both.

Slowly, Kanao got up from her chair, and she slowly walked out the door, trembling.

She's actually going to get it?! Tanjiro thought, freaking out.

As soon as she left, Tanjiro began to panic.

"What the heck Inosuke!" Tanjiro shouted. "We told you about her speaking problem yesterday, and now you sent her to get a monstrosity of a sandwich!"

"Calm down Kentaro. I'm trying to help my disciple and make her better at talking." Inosuke said absently, reaching for the box of rice balls that Kanao had left behind.

"That's not gonna help Kanao." Tanjiro said, as he swatted Inosuke's hand away from Kanao's rice balls. Tanjiro slipped Kanao's rice balls into his book bag, to keep them guarded.

Then, he did the only thing he could do.

He followed Kanao.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tanjiro had run out of the school as fast as he could.

It took him a while to find the sandwich place, but at last he found it.

He saw Kanao standing outside of Platter Palace, trembling more than he had ever seen before.

He watched her as she slowly walked inside.

Kanao took one glance at all the people sitting and eating inside the sleek sandwich shop, and she couldn't take it.

She stepped outside again.

Oh no...Kanao needs help, but I can't do anything about it! Tanjiro thought frantically.

Before he could he could decide on what to do to help Kanao, he heard her make a small 'hmph!' noise, as if she were giving herself confidence.

Tanjiro followed her inside, and sat down on a nearby chair, so he could hear the order.

"Hello ma'am, welcome to Platter Palace! What can I get for you?" a man behind the counter asked Kanao.

She pointed at the menu.

"Um...ma'am, is there something you would like to get on the menu?" the man behind the counter asked concernedly.