Gentleman

Jade remembered that she didn't have a key to Bucky's apartment as she reached his door, so she decided to go down the street to a bar that she and Bucky frequented. She slid into a booth and a waitress made a beeline to her. She ordered two double Jack and cokes, plus two shots of Vodka. she was gonna regret this in the morning. The alcohol she had consumed at the party already had her head slightly foggy. As soon as the shot glasses hit the table, Jade threw them back and felt the warmth of the liquor course through her.

She was in hell. No apartment, no belongings, in love with one of her best friends, while the other was in love with her. Why was her life such a mess? She dropped her head into her hands and groaned. As she reached for the first Jack and coke, she saw Bucky race into the bar. She tried to sink down into the booth, but it was no use. It was like he could sense her presence.

"Fuck. I can't even get one damn minute to myself." She said under her breath.

He stalked over to the booth and took a seat across from her. She chugged her drink and then reached for the other one.

"Are you done running away from me?" He asked angrily.

"Depends. Are you gonna try and make me talk about last night?" She said while taking a sip of her drink.

"Yes."

"Then no. I don't think I'm done." She sat her glass down and stood. "So, if you'll kindly not follow me, I'm gonna go find another bar to drown my sorrows in."

Bucky stood before Jade could take a step.

"We have to talk about what happened and you know it, Jade."

"Not really, we could just forget about it completely." She said.

"I can't do that, sugar. Now sit your pretty ass down before I make you."

"I'm flattered that you think my ass is pretty, James."

Bucky clenched his jaw. She only called him James when she was upset with him. He watched her take her seat reluctantly and down her drink. The waitress approached and Jade ordered the same thing as before. She knew it was a bad idea. She was going to have a massive hangover and she was well on her way to being completely wasted. She could already feel the room starting to spin around her. At least it would help her forget everything for at least a little while.

"Why did you leave the party so quickly? You didn't even tell me you were leaving. When I couldn't find you, I freaked out. Sam told me he saw you leave and my mind started going through every horrible scenario of what could have been happening to you. You can't—don't do that to me, Jade."

Jade saw fear and panic in Bucky's eyes and she felt a small twinge of guilt run through her. She didn't mean to make him worry, she just needed time to think.

"I'm sorry, Bucky." Jade hung her head.

"Why did you leave? If you had come to me, we could have left together. At least then I wouldn't have thought that—"

He trailed off and Jade didn't ask what he was thinking.

"I just needed some alone time. After what happened last night and tonight, I just needed to clear my head and I couldn't do that at the compound."

"What happened tonight?" Bucky squinted his eyes at Jade and she mentally face-palmed herself.

"Not important."

"You can tell me."

No, she couldn't. She couldn't tell him that Steve confessed his love for her on the roof of the compound. Or that all she could think about was how she wished it had been Bucky saying those words to her. The waitress set the drinks on the table and Jade reached for one of the shot glasses. She downed it and then went to grab the other, but Bucky pulled it away from her and took the shot.