Epilogue

Two Years Later

"Jade? Sweetheart, are you here?" Steve called out from the entryway and into the quiet house.

"Just a minute, Steve!" Jade called back from the second floor.

A moment later she came bounding down the stairs with a brown haired, blue eyed girl propped on her hip.

"There's my girls." Steve smiled at the pair.

"Sorry, I was finishing up Becca's bath. Thank you so much for babysitting last minute. I hated to ask, but I didn't have anyone else."

"Never be sorry for asking me to watch my niece. I'm happy to do it."

Jade pulled Steve into a hug and kissed his cheek. He placed his arms around Jade and Becca and squeezed them tight. When he released them, Becca reached her arms out toward him and he plucked her from Jade's arms. He placed a gentle kiss on her cheek and grinned at her.

"Did you miss your favorite uncle?" He asked.

Becca sleepily smiled at him as she wrapped her arms around his neck and laid her head on his shoulder. Jade watched her daughter snuggle into Steve and her heart melted. Despite the rocky patch their friendship had hit over two years ago, they recovered and had grown even closer. He became the big brother she always wanted and she was the annoying little sister he never knew he needed. Becca couldn't have asked for a better uncle than Steve.

"Sometimes I think she only lets me hold her so she can use me as a pillow."

"Speaking from experience, you make an excellent pillow." Jade giggled when Steve rolled his eyes. "She didn't have a nap today, so she's going to be out in no time. Bucky is supposed to be back from his mission tonight, but he said it would be late. I'll try to be back before too late, but you know how Nat and Wanda are."

"Don't worry about it, sweetheart. Have fun and try to relax. Becca's in good hands."

"The best." Jade replied with a smile. "I'm going to finish getting ready."

Steve walked to the sofa and sat down with Becca resting on his chest. He turned on the TV and flipped to something mindless. His hand rubbed soft circles on Becca's back as small snores drifted from her. Steve enjoyed his time with Becca. As her godfather, he cherished each second that he was able to bond with her. It gave him hope that one day he would be able to find a love like Bucky and Jade's and finally have the family he had always wanted.

Steve looked down at Becca as she buried her face into his shoulder. She was the spitting image of Bucky with the attitude of her mother, sweet but stubborn. From the second she was born, she had everyone at the compound wrapped around her finger.

An hour later, Steve felt his eyes drooping when the front door suddenly swung open. He jolted awake, eyes focused on the entryway. Bucky stepped inside, dropping his bag on the floor, and kicking off his boots.

"Hey, thought you weren't getting back until later?" Steve said from the couch.

"Me and Sam were able to wrap it up a little sooner than we thought." Bucky walked to the couch and fell next to Steve.

"She asleep?" Bucky nodded toward Becca.

"Yeah, fell asleep almost the second I took her from Jade."

Steve carefully passed her to Bucky. He had been gone for two weeks and every time he spoke to Steve, he always mentioned how he couldn't wait to get back so he could hold her. Bucky cradled her in his arms and pressed a sweet kiss to her forehead, rubbing his thumb over her cheek as he smiled down at his daughter. She stirred for a moment, but then smiled in her sleep and her light snores resumed.