Chapter 2

They went inside the door, eyes adjusting to the dimmer light as they took in the scene. The innkeeper, looking strained, spoke with several patrons crowding around the bar. Patrons huddled in small groups at the round tables, sending furtive glances toward the stairway and toward the source of the shouting. A tall, pale man stood in the corner, engaged in a shouting match with two burly men in leather armor, clearly the tavern's bouncers, who were forcibly holding him in place.

Spying the two enforcers, the innkeeper gestured to them, causing the patrons at the bar to all turn, as he proclaimed, "Thank the gods! About time you showed up—what took you so long? He's going berserk over there."

"We came as quickly as we could," Eddin said, striding to the bar. "Enforcer Bucktin. Recruit Nahalora. What's going on here?"

"Some madman came in here last night, murdered one of my serving girls and apparently ran off with the woman staying in room eight upstairs. Took the infant from room eight, too."

"Anyone see this madman?"

"No, sir. Woke up this morning to shouting—people had found the body of poor Katra in the hallway. Then he started in on the shouting, too," the innkeeper nodded at the man in the corner. "His wife and child were gone. Dunno if it's related or if she just decided to leave him."

"Any other information?"

"Nope. I sent for you all right away. Need to get this cleaned up quick, or I'll be losing business. No one wants to stay in a place where people get knifed in the hallway and babies get torn from their cribs."

Eddin nodded; "I understand. We'll speak with the gentleman in the corner, then look around upstairs. If you haven't sent for an undertaker, you ought to."

The innkeeper nodded; "Yeah. She's on her way."

Vania followed Eddin across the room. The eyes of every patron also followed. The man in the corner stopped shouting at the bouncers and watched as Eddin and Vania stopped in front of him.

"Sir," Eddin nodded. "I'm Enforcer Bucktin. This is Recruit Nahalora. We're here about what transpired last night."

The bouncers eyed the silver wolf on Eddin's uniform, exchanged glances, and released the pale man, who grumbled something under his breath Vania couldn't understand.

"Please, sit," Eddin gestured to the chair across the table as he sat. "What's your name, sir?"

Vania grabbed out her notebook as she sat beside Eddin and began writing, Reporting individual is domlian. Pale, with white hair. Grey eyes so light they almost look silver. Tall. Magical power very palpable, with a strange feel to it. Staying in room eight of Ardent Lion with wife and infant. She watched as the man looked at both of them, seemingly in resignation, and slowly lowered himself into the indicated chair.

"I am..." the man paused a moment before finishing, "Sylvern Kan'stellan. My wife, son, and I were passing through this city on our way to Tevlin. We have... friends there."

"I see. And your—"

"Excuse me, sir," Vania interrupted. "Where are you from? I've never heard an accent like yours before."

"Kinski." At her puzzled look, he added, "Northwest Devere."

"Oh." Travelling from continent of Drovmin Illingtel to visit friends. She glanced at Eddin, who was frowning at the domlian man. "Sorry. Continue."

"I understand your wife and son were not in your room this morning. Wh—"

"Yes. They were... abducted. I cannot sense either of them, so we don't have much time to find them. I fear the worst will come to pass while I sit here, talking with you."